Are my hops dead?

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:32 pm

So I started some Centennial Hops in a pot to get them going before the soil has warmed up enough to work with. I have one shoot that is about 3 ft long and another small one that is lagging behind. Well, my daughter got her hands on it last night and yanked the big one right out. All that is left of that shoot is about 3 inches of stem. Do you think that will continue to grow? I still have one more shoot going. These are first year hops too so I'm not heartbroken. Should I just let it go and develop the root system? I'm curious if that little piece of stem will continue to grow and pick right back up again. Anyone?

This is what it used to be.
http://www.cognitionbrewingcompany.com
Twitter: CognitionB
Tumblr: cognitionbeer
Instagram: cognitionbeer
Snapchat: Cognition Brewing Company
Brichards700

Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:54 pm

Hops are very hardy plants, I can't say for sure but it should be alright. several shoots come out of each rhizome so that won't be the only one.
triple-oh_six :bnarmy:

Cajun Brewing
triple-oh-six

Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:48 pm

Usually bines that get broken die. Sorry brotha.

If you have any other growth coming up, the rhizome isn't dead. Thats the big thing. Just try and keep the kids away from it.
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:54 pm

Lufah wrote:Usually bines that get broken die. Sorry brotha.

If you have any other growth coming up, the rhizome isn't dead. Thats the big thing. Just try and keep the kids away from it.

That's what I was worried about. The funny thing is there was one other shoot coming up and i chopped it this morning because the one that got yanked was doing so well. Oh well I still have one shoot that is doing alright I guess I'll just let it do its thing and develop a good root system and next year I should be able to get a decent yield.
http://www.cognitionbrewingcompany.com
Twitter: CognitionB
Tumblr: cognitionbeer
Instagram: cognitionbeer
Snapchat: Cognition Brewing Company
Brichards700

Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:14 am

My experience has been like that of Lufah's. My dog ran through mine last year breaking them off about 3-4" from the ground. The bines died and I thought the whole plant had. But this year they came back with the force and are now about 2' tall.
BadRock
Global Moderator

Return to Homegrown