Too many hops

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:52 pm

Anyone in the Santa Rosa, CA area want any Cascade, Columbus, Centennial or Nugget- whole, fresh cones I have a little too much. I harvested my Cascade, and Centennial on Sunday, August 22 and the Columbus today. I brewed my 2nd annual wet hop ale today as well. I have yet to harvest the Nugget and it is ready too. I probably won't (don't want to) use it all before next year. What I didn't use today went into paper bags to dry upstairs. Don't yet have the packaging technique to preserve them properly. Send me a PM if interested.

Mtn Minor

Re: Too many hops

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:47 pm

Damn man! That looks awsome. I wish mine looked like that. Brew on brotha!
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:36 pm

That's a beauty of a vine! How old is it?
On Tap: Jamil's Oktoberfest, JP's Oatmeal Stout, Organic Apfelwein, English Brown Ale
Carbing:
Churning: House Citra APA
sexpanther

Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:47 am

sexpanther wrote:That's a beauty of a vine! How old is it?

That vine bent the 10 foot, 3/4 inch steel pole that was attached to the fence post. I planted the rhizomes last year. So, second year crop. Didn't get much last year. But this year-Wow. Last year, after my wet hop brew day, the remaining cones fit on a 28 inch square screen for drying. I have a few of those screens loaded now, drying in the attic. Takes a couple days. At first I didn't want to see them go to waste, hence the post. We were so overwhelmed with fresh cones I put them in paper grocery bags, clothes pinned at the top and lying on their sides. Not too many cones - about an inch and a half deep. This seems to let them slowly dry as I build more screens. I'm just going to put them in freezer bags this year. Typically, I like to use pellet hops, but if I find a brew using these cones that I like, perhaps I'll invest in a vacuum sealer next year.
Mtn Minor

Return to Homegrown