beginners questions

Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:37 pm

So I got my hops planted a little late, some in april and some in june. I have them planted in 5 gal buckets because in about a month I will be moving and was planning accordingly. I have 1 2year old plant that I transplanted into a bucket along with my other. I also don't have a good trellis system as mine is this.. I have a hole drilled into the top of the bucket and have a string going from it to the roof of my house. but the strings are at about a 45 degree angle to allow for the height of the plants. My biggest plants are the 2 year old Centinneal and 2 cascades hitting about 7.5 feet. Is this normal for what i am doing?
loop-a-465

Re: beginners questions

Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:11 am

Sounds like your plants are should be taller. If they were transplanted then possibly ok in height. How does the plant look? Nice green leaves...burrs yet?
cheezycow

Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:30 pm

Commercial hop growers aim to have their hops reach the top of the trellis on the longest day. That said, I drive past a lot of hop fields on my way to work, rubbernecking the whole way, and I see plenty of first and second year plots at about that height. Also keep in mind that hops are fertilizer whores and sun sluts :mrgreen:
Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure.
Ambrose Bierce
Ironman

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:05 pm

I just picked my first harvest this year. About 3oz dried. Too bad I was in between brew weeks. I can't wait to wet hop with some of these. 2nd year Cascades in the ground were 12' high a month ago. :D
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:19 pm

Here's what mine look like
Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure.
Ambrose Bierce
Ironman

Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:38 am

scotchpine wrote:I just picked my first harvest this year. About 3oz dried. Too bad I was in between brew weeks. I can't wait to wet hop with some of these. 2nd year Cascades in the ground were 12' high a month ago. :D

Isn't it a bit early in the year for harvesting? ;P
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:34 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
scotchpine wrote:I just picked my first harvest this year. About 3oz dried. Too bad I was in between brew weeks. I can't wait to wet hop with some of these. 2nd year Cascades in the ground were 12' high a month ago. :D

Isn't it a bit early in the year for harvesting? ;P

They got such a jump with the weather down here this year and it's been so hot they were staring to get brown and I did'nt want to lose them. I have a 30' raised bed with a soaker hose covered with black plastic and I water every other day. Smelled great at picking and the 2nd set of cones are coming in nicely. I've got them in full sun and it's been in the 90's like every day for the last 6 weeks here :shock:
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:50 am

Hey, good for you man!
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Next