Time to Grow Some hops ...

Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:25 pm

All it took was a drunk night, Nikobrew hop rhizome discounts, and the need for a new project.

Here is the plans for the trellis that I am building. First time using "Photobucket" so hope it works.

In total, building 2 of these so will have 4 varieties ... Centennial, Magnum, Willamette, and Glacier. If the photo works, I will post the progress.

.... And yes I know that I am way late and probably wasting my time, but I'll be all set for next year if these rhizomes fail me.
Last edited by EagleDude on Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle Dude

On Tap: Barrel Fermented Berlinerweisse 3.2%; American Pale Ale 6.3%, Amarillo Blond 5%
Aging: Flander's Red in a 60 gallon Merlot barrel
Fermenting: Robust Porter 6.5%
EagleDude

Re: Time to Grow Some hops ...

Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:43 pm

Mine should be here tomorrow as per the email that Niko promptly responded to. My set up is pretty similar to yours. At least now it is! :aaron
I am in MN and the snow is finally one. I also find that if it is a bust this year, at least iI will have tons on rhizomes for next!
Heres to bein a day late and a dollar short! ( story of my life!)
snowcapt

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:23 pm

Nice Snowcapt! ... what varieties are you going for?

I have just spent three days working on getting the "project" going. In total, I have 1-.5 feet of gravel to remove along two 3' x 12' areas, 8 holes to dig, soil to amend and mix, 2 posts to build and set, trellis lines to run, automatic water lines to set, and of course several beers to drink. On top of that, I had a wedding to go to this weekend, a house that is getting dirty that needs to be cleaned, an APA to keg, a 3 1/2 year old to help/watch, and the Sunday Session to listen to at 5 o'clock Sunday.

I'll be heading for NHC next weekend, so won't be able to get back to it all for another three weeks. At this point, I have the gravel cleared, the wood cut and treated, and during the session, the poles will get fully assembled and the APA will get transfered. I'll have to plant the rhizomes during the week after work and set the pole when I get back from NHC.

This would have all been easy if I didn't have all the landscaping rock to move.

Good luck on the Hop plantings and post some photos if you get a chance.
Eagle Dude

On Tap: Barrel Fermented Berlinerweisse 3.2%; American Pale Ale 6.3%, Amarillo Blond 5%
Aging: Flander's Red in a 60 gallon Merlot barrel
Fermenting: Robust Porter 6.5%
EagleDude

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

I have 2 chinook and 2 cascade plants in the dirt. Used composted manure, some pottin soil, and a bit of sand. Planted them last niht after work! :jnj
snowcapt

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:09 am

Damn, you guys are showing up late to the game! :P

I've got ten varieties, most of which are already topping out at 20+ feet and budding cones. :jnj :jnj
Ranger, West Point - Hessian Lake Division
Hessian Lake Brewing
Hessian Lake

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:38 am

That's good to know I'm not the only one with cones already. One vine over 12 feet with a bunch of little ones off that over8 feet each, cones popping all over the big ones. 3 more plans that was slacking, got maybe 15 feet between those.

Accidently hit a rhizome one of my plants was putting out while loosening the soil and doing some weeding, I planted that and it just broke surface and is about 6inches already.
PFC BN Army Southeastern PA Division
http://www.barefootlionbrewing.blogspot.com
BarefootLion

Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:54 pm

RommelMagic wrote:Damn, you guys are showing up late to the game! :P

I've got ten varieties, most of which are already topping out at 20+ feet and budding cones. :jnj :jnj

Yeah, yeah. Day late, dollar short! Story of my life. Minnesota weather didnt help any. No snow anymore, thouh! Now it is 90*!
:jnj
snowcapt

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks for your orders guys, I still have quite a few rhizomes left dirt cheap! They're healthy too a lot of them have been living in buckets with soil. :)
-Niko-

BN Army Sergeant

"Samsonite?!?.. I was WAY off!" - Lloyd Christmas

Come get your hops and more! Low prices and $5 flat rate shipping on hops-only orders http://www.NikoBrew.com
NikoBrew

Next

Return to Homegrown