Hop Trellis (pics)

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:05 pm

I haven't been around much in the last few months, mainly b/c work is crazy but also since we just bought our first home and it's keeping me busy as fuck. I'll post pics of my new brewhouse soon but here's the hop trellis that I built.

Materials

Stain and poly...

I sunk 2 4" PVC pipes 2' into the ground, then cut the bottom of the posts down to 2 2x4's thick and rounded them off. I'm also in the process of adding a brace to each upright, but we've had really strong wind the last few days and it doesn't sway at all.

The twine is strung so I can lower it down but I think the bines will tangle around the top, so I made it to where if I pop out the carriage bolts at the top and bottom the whole top section will hinge down for easy picking.

13' tall, 8' wide

These pics were taken 2 weeks ago, and this is my 5 year old Cascade that was transplanted from our last rent house in Dec., I have the bed on a timer with a soaker hose and today the tallest bine was about 8'.
I have some TMZ rhizomes preordered from nikobrew so I'll be building another one of these on the other side of the yard next month.
triple-oh_six :bnarmy:

Cajun Brewing
triple-oh-six

Re: Hop Trellis (pics)

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:36 pm

That looks really nice brotha!
Jbug

Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:25 pm

I think you shoud grab the camera, put your back against the fence, look up at the beautiful structure, take a photo from this same spot every time you think about it, and watch the magic unfold. Last shot should be drinking of the beer that the hops went in. Time lapse, ya know?
Ah shit, you said you were a busy guy.....
Nice pool! :jnj
Nice hop home as well. Stylish, yet uber funtional! :jnj
snowcapt

Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:56 am

Well done brotha! :jnj

Those ropes aren't tied to the power lines behind the trellis are they? :asshat:
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:50 am

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with the way it came out, I just got my new rhizomes in yesterday so I'll be starting on a new one Friday.

And no, those power lines are about 40' from my trellis.
triple-oh_six :bnarmy:

Cajun Brewing
triple-oh-six

Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:24 am

That's an awsome set up. I have somthing similar but not hinged and it's a PIA to pick them. Also, being in La. do you cut them back in May, June or so? I read in the last BYO that it's better for growers in the south to do this so the cones become mature in the cooler fall, instead of the heat of summer. This is my second year crop of Cascade and mine are already 7 feet tall. :jnj
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:25 am

Pretty bad ass.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:27 am

Good looking trellis...my hops have just popped out of the ground. Stupid northwest ohio weather!
iceclimber

Next

Return to Homegrown