My wife's coworker has wild hops in her yard.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:58 pm

She said when the snow clears out (probably April or May) I can come out and check it out. Take what I want.

What kind of hops could grow up here in my area? I'm in the Keweenaw Peninsula of Michigan's Upper Peninsula (Google "Houghton, MI"). Could I narrow things down to a few varieties based on range?
twitter.com/GentleCuntPunch

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

Re: My wife's coworker has wild hops in her yard.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:24 pm

http://michiganhopalliance.com/ seems to be able to grow a few varieties. They're a little south of you but not that much. You might need to look into local history to get a better idea. Maybe a previous owner was a homebrewer? Maybe your wife's co-worker has the hots for you and there are no hops! :shock:

But it would be pretty near impossible to tell what kind they are in April-May before they even start growing again. Hell, unless she knows exactly where they are, they might even be difficult to find. (I don't know what the local foliage is like).
My brother in law found some pretty deep in the woods in northeast PA growing amongst a bunch of thorny vines and under a pretty full canopy. It took us about 45 minutes to actually find it again. Luckily it was later in the season so the cones were formed.
Anyway, I'm blabbering, time to get to bed.
Ranger, West Point - Hessian Lake Division
Hessian Lake Brewing
Hessian Lake

Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:50 am

I'll check and see if she has pictures of the flowers to see if I can narrow it down from there. Otherwise I'll have to wait a while before I can find out.

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:22 am

Will you be able to narrow it down based on pictures of the flowers?... one hop cone looks a lot like another to me, and the wild growing ones she has may be much smaller in size than any of the commercial varieties available. It may even be something that doesn't exist commercially, depending on how long they've been there...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:23 am

spiderwrangler wrote:Will you be able to narrow it down based on pictures of the flowers?... one hop cone looks a lot like another to me, and the wild growing ones she has may be much smaller in size than any of the commercial varieties available. It may even be something that doesn't exist commercially, depending on how long they've been there...

+1
Ranger, West Point - Hessian Lake Division
Hessian Lake Brewing
Hessian Lake

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:38 am

I don't know how to ID hops, so I figured visually was one method. I'll post pics and such here as well as check with a horticulturist professor at MI Tech if they can help me. The house was her boyfriend's grandparents house and they've been on the property since then. No one in their family ever brewed. From what we know about them, they're as wild as can be.

Adam

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:50 am

NE PA really?
Hmm might have to do some looking next time I go to Honesdale for paintballng.
PFC BN Army Southeastern PA Division
http://www.barefootlionbrewing.blogspot.com
BarefootLion

Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:55 am

My brother found some while hunting in VT but it was late in the season and most were past their prime. Making plans to go up in Sept to check the harvest.
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Homegrown