Hops at the Farm

Mon May 31, 2010 9:41 am

My family friends are growing hops for me at their organic farm. We went up this weekend to redo the strings and attach the hops. Last year was the first year, so they should take off this year! Half cascade, half northern brewer.

Cheers!

:bnarmy:
Hawkeye

Re: Hops at the Farm

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:19 am

Very Nice!
BadRock
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:14 am

Nice indeed.

I actually was on the forum to ask a question about hop spacing. Everything I was reading said to plant similar varieties 3' apart and unsimilar 7'. I have my Cascade and Centennial planted at 1 -1.5 ft intervals ( first year ) and thought I was screwed, but I see here that you have them pretty close too. I just need to see if I can keep the lateral shoots from the Cascade and Centennial separate during the season.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:27 pm

I think there is a 4-6 foot space between our varieties (where we planted). My friend is a master gardener, and is keeping an eye to keep the space.
Hawkeye

Return to Homegrown