The Hop Farm Is Up

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:20 pm

This past weekend we finally got the hop farm up and running. Last year the hops were planted, but this year, they are expected to grow big time. So we planted some old telephone poles and strung some cables.

Really hoping to get a ton of hops, but who knows. We do have a 100 plants though.

Hop Farm

I look forward to seeing what comes up and how good they are. I suppose you could call this an experiment.
mikebiewer

Re: The Hop Farm Is Up

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:48 pm

Wow. 3000 pounds? Wow.

Check out http://www.simpleearthhops.com/ They are just starting up. May have an idea with what to do with 3000 pounds.

Have a good full harvest.

The Fool.
Non-Motorized Mechanized Division, BN Army
bikefoolery

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:38 pm

I mistyped that...300 lbs would be more likely.

Thanks for the link though. I'll definitely check that farm out. I really enjoy picking weeds and watching things grow. It is a nice reprieve from my daily job behind a desk...
mikebiewer

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:31 am

More evidence that once bitten, there is no end to the things that a homebrewer will invest hard earned cash in. Good luck with the farm!
Spelt

Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:12 pm

mikebiewer wrote:I mistyped that...300 lbs would be more likely.

...I really enjoy picking weeds and watching things grow. It is a nice reprieve from my daily job behind a desk...

I hear you, man! I love to garden. People think I'm an idiot because I don't mind weeding the garden. I tell them to look at a damn computer screen for 10+ hours a day while people bitch at you. After that...weeds aren't that bad.
Crupp

On tap: 09 Cider, American Mild, Dark Mild II, American Wheat, Hefe, Traditional Mead, Belgian Blond
crupp

Sun May 02, 2010 7:59 am

Agreed my friend.

There is something about getting out of the city, overlooking a lake, and helping some little hop plants grow to be big strong producers that calms me!
mikebiewer

Sun May 02, 2010 3:26 pm

You used a Bobcat with an auger and a pole handler. That's cheating!

You haven't really lived until you've put in telephone poles with a Ford 8N and a gin truck. Unless you've done it with a post-hole digger and hand labor.

Best wishes on the hop farm. I wish I had a hop farm (and a Bobcat!)

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Mon May 17, 2010 9:25 am

Hi Mike. I'm new to this forum. Actually, this is my first post. I bought some hops rhizomes this year with the intention of getting a farm going.

Most of my rhizomes have budded, and I'm coming up with a plan to go to our land and start a hops farm.

I'm starting with only five plants, this year. If they survive the climate, environment, insects etc. of Southern Illinois, I'm going to go all out and plant maybe 2 full acres.

My problem is that I live 4 hours away from where the actual farm will be. So my question is: How much will I need to be out there, checking the hops, trimming back the first year's shoots, cleaning out weeds? My goal is to go out maybe once a month to check on them. What do you think?
Moloko520

Next

Return to Homegrown