Re: Time for Rhizomes to break the surface?

Mon May 24, 2010 7:10 am

One of my cascades that I planted 10 days ago are poking up out of the ground when I looked yesterday. Eagerly awaiting the arrival of the other cascade and centennials.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Mon May 24, 2010 7:59 am

I will be harvesting my Fuggles & Cent. this week. I'm in Arkansas.
Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not brought upon this world to get it!
derfburg

Mon May 24, 2010 10:17 am

I planted a Nugget and Mt. Hood rhizome on May 8th. So far, only the Nugget is popping up, but it has two sprouts! Mt. Hood is no where to be seen...yet, but I'm still hopeing.

:bnarmy:
DrawTap88

Mon May 24, 2010 3:22 pm

derfburg wrote:I will be harvesting my Fuggles & Cent. this week. I'm in Arkansas.

I've been wondering about that. Some of my 2nd year cascade and nugget cones have the occasional brown bract and are feeling distinctly papery. Some others are still in burr stage, and I've got one runt cascade doing nothing (a marked plant if ever there was one).

I hope they even out next year. It would be nice if they all popped at the same time, and would save me a great deal of vacuum and seal time.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Wed May 26, 2010 9:00 am

I have several rhizomes that I just planted this year, in mid-April to be specific. I have Perle, Magnum, Centennial, Goldings, Willamette, Sterling and two Galena. All of them except the Perle, Magnum and Willamette were going strong before we had a cold snap where it got into the 40s at night. Also, we have had lots of rain. The drier warmer weather is here, but I can see what this freakish weather did to my bines. The Galena is just a crack crazed monkey and keeps growing. The Perle and Magnum got some shriveling at the top of their bines and have stopped progressing. On a positive note there is a new bud on the Magnum.

Long story short, my expectations for the first year are that the hops just grow and establish a root system. Next year is "money".

I will send updates on my hop garden as the summer progresses.
pikeman94

Wed May 26, 2010 9:12 am

My 8 rhizomes I planted have all broken through the soil, but my Perle and Magnum bines are looking a tad slow now. My area had a 3 week cool/rainy stretch that I think wasn't to my hops liking. The sun is back out now, but the bines are still slow going. My expectation for this year is that they just grow. I think next year will be the crop year.

Pikeman94
pikeman94

Previous

Return to Homegrown