How tall are your hop plants? List age and where your are.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:24 am

Just trying to see how well I'm doing compared to some others who grow hops.

I live in Conneticut. My plants are 3-4 yrs old. The plants are at the back of my property next to a forest. I have a wire line strung up at 11 ft. So my hops get about 5 -6 hrs direct sunlight a day before the sun crests the top of the trees.

Cascade: 14 ft. 6 Bines.
Nothern Brewer: 1 ft. This has never done well
Centennial: 6 ft. Last year this one was my prize producer. 6 Bines
Liberty: 4ft. 4 Bines
Magnum: 3 ft. 4 Bines
Williamette: 9 ft 2 Bines
East Kent Golding: 1ft. This has never done well
Last edited by Ilove2brew on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ilove2brew

Re: How tall are your hop plants? List age and where your are.

Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:32 am

I have three hills going next to each other all their second year and not sure of varieties. My trellis is on an angle so i will give height off the ground. Central New Hampshire:

1. about 10 feet with 2 very strong bines, growing two feet last week.
2. about 3.5 feet with several weaker bines. Just really starting to climb by themselves.
3. barely off the ground with lots of tiny bines. Not sure it is going to do anything this year but all three were like this last year.

I have only 6-7 hours of full sun but am hoping for a few cones at least. Lots of compost and ground fish fertilizer and of course tons of H2O.
The time is near the mission clear,
Its later than you think, before you slip
into the night you'll want something to drink.
NHBrewer

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:31 am

Indianapolis, IN
3 - 4 Years Old

My Chinook are the best growing hops I know of around these parts. Mine are over 12' tall and have fallen back down to the height of my wire, 4 total bines, about 13' or so. I have Centennial that are almost up to the wire at 13', had 4 bines, but one died off. Then lastly I have Cascade, which are simply VERY FRAGILE, and not quite up to 6' or so.

They are all growing well, they've been cut back multiple times before training (early on), but the Cascade are seriously the most fragile things on earth for me.

I also have some major spider mite issues that I need to deal with soon, which is partly why I'm here to post. Hopefully I have figure out how to post an image! Oh, and the Chinook bines are as thick as my pinkie (compared to the Cascade which are maybe a small, narrow straw).

Ok, can't figure out pics, so we'll just link to my picasa:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lindenboy34/Hops#

First one is the hop trellis and the second is the Chinook...more to come soon.
Jason
Tuxedo Park Brewers Supply
http://www.tuxedoparkbrewers.com
jason-at-tuxedoparkbrewers.com
lindenboy

Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:18 pm

4th year Cascade in Central Valley CA. This was taken a few weeks ago. Poles are 16 feet. Since then its made its way downward and hops are comming in quite nicely.
sitting in the corner
Petedadink

Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:24 pm

I have Golding, Willamette, Centenial, and magnum in the ground. A few are first years, most are second years (the first years are the ones that didn't make it last year, and I re-propagated the hop beds w/ rhizomes. Most of the second years are 4-5 feet longer than my trellis which is only 12 ft.

I'm pretty happy w/ that, seeing I live in damn near canada. (NH).
ApresSkiBrewer
-
Siebel Fall '09 - BREW CREW.
ApresSkiBrewer

Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:55 am

This is a great idea for a thread.

I'm in Wisconsin. My hops see sunlight from morning to about 1:00, then they are in the shade of a 200-year old maple. As of a couple days ago:

5th year Hallertauer: 12 feet high, 6 bines
3rd year Cascade: 7 feet high, 6 bines

That's all I've got. You can make some pretty awesome beers with just those two varieties.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:20 am

i have a 6 year old cascade that is almost ready for it's first harvest. it's up over my deck as usual, about 15 ft. the thing is a hop producing beast.

i also have a mt. hood that is coming into it's second year. i have 3 bines. last year it produced exactly 1 cone. i'm hoping for a little better yield this year. it's also up over the deck about 13 ft. yard is sloped.

both of them get sun from sun up till about 4 pm. with all the rain, they're doing very well. i'm about 15 miles north of baltimore. later, Drew
I'm enjoying my 6-pack....my 6-pack of Superbowl trophies!
twitter.com\@ajignatz
ajignatz@gmail.com
Steelers&Beer

Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:41 am

I have 4 hills of first year plants here in Eastern Nebraska where it is hot and very humid all summer long. Two hills are of cascade. These were those really puny rhizomes about the size of a pencil with only one or two buds on each so I put two rhizomes in each hill. They were really slow to start but have now sprouted up nicely and have about half a dozen bines going up about 4 feet.

The other two hills are Mt. Hood. These were the jumbo rhizomes from Freshops and they took right off. I have 6 bines over 6' tall and have trimmed back 8-10 other bine sprouts. So far it appears that the extra money for the jumbo rhizomes was worth it for a good quick start. We will see how it goes come harvest time.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Next

Return to Homegrown