My leaves aren't as green as they used to be

Mon May 11, 2009 1:21 pm

My first year hops shot up to four foot already but they seem to have hit a speed bump. I've got 3 varieties, Cascade, Centenial, and Zeus.

Over the past 4 days the top leaves are starting to turn less green, more yellow and they feel slightly papery. The base leaves were still very green and as you looked up the bine the leaves started to discolor with spots and at the top the new shoot were pretty light in color. The leaves started to turn down too.

I trimmed the base leaves because I thought maybe the top leaves may not be getting the nutrients they need, as the base leaves were still dark green and bushy. (I said bushy)

We recently got a ton of rain in the area and at first I was thinking it could be that.

Anyone got any ideas?
viperpiper

Re: My leaves aren't as green as they used to be

Mon May 11, 2009 5:54 pm

Too much rain will do that. Especially if the roots are in a poor draining section of the garden.

There are also some nutrient deficiencies that will cause yellowing, but you would have seen that before the rains came.

Are the rhizomes planted on a slightly elevated mound, or pretty much the same level as everything else? Is there a way to direct surface water away from the base of the plants?

Check out this link as well:

http://www.freshops.com/nutrient.html
bcmaui

Tue May 12, 2009 4:58 pm

I have really well draining soil but I think the mid east got
So much rain lately. I put down some extra plant nutrients in case of the deficiency. I'm just trying to prevent utter disaster because me and my dad spent 18 hours this weekend welding together a sick trellis.
viperpiper

Tue May 12, 2009 7:57 pm

Mine either. Then again, I'm not a kid anymore.
:bnarmy:Corporal, BN Army Kettle Scrubbing Squad :bnarmy:
andy77

Return to Homegrown