Re: 2009 HOPS!

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:15 am

:bnarmy: I am so pumped! I just ordered some Cascade, Northern Brewer, Nuggett, and Goldings Rhizomes! WooHoo... now heres hoping i can grow them in the horrid hellhole that is North Dakota... :bnarmy:
::BN Army Pilot::

Fermenting: nothing...
Kegged: nothing...
Bottled: Sioux Yea Yea IPA
I need to brew...
RJH311

Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:04 pm

Finally got my hops into the ground this morning. Have Mt. Hood and Cascades in there.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:22 pm

Nice Bug, planted hops, and caught a handful of bass. That's a productive day if I do say so myself!
BadRock
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:48 pm

I'm pretty stoked.
Today I ordered a Galena and a Cascade Rhizome.
I'm thinking that I'll plant them next to my front porch and create a trellis with jute or twine and let them grow up to the roof.
Fresh hops would be really nice if it works like I envision it. We'll see.

cheers
Brannon
bsegroves

Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:27 pm

Hmmm, a little late, but if anyone in Colorado is interested in organic Cascade rhizomes, drop me a note.
Do it soon.
Don Blake
BJCP Grand Master Judge

Fermenting: WitBier
on tap: Cal Common, Funky yeast experiments
dontblake

Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:57 am

Just got mine in the ground, one each of Nugget, Cascade and Willamette. First time grower, trying them out in central PA. It's a little early for the planting, but from what I've been reading, the rhizome will survive a frost, and will stay dormant until it's warm enough. I know that this is still probably too early, but I wasn't doing them any favors by keeping in the fridge for another month either. I'm not looking for pounds of product, just the experience and a batch or two of fresh dry hop.

Oh, and I just moved into my house (and to PA), and there's an unused telephone pole in the back yard, I'm going to strap some galvanized conduit onto it and run some jute twine. Ready made trelis!

Anyone else growing in central PA (State College area) and have any advice? Soil is pretty clay like, so I dug a big f*ing hole and filled it with topsoil/native soil mix, then topped it with manure and leaf mulch. Grow hops grow!
Corporal, BN Army Rural/BFE Division
On Tap: Janet's Brown (Sextuple Hopped!)
Secondary: none
Primary:
Bottled: Cider, Mead, Blonde, Wine
On Deck: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout and Scottish 70/-
DrYeast

Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:13 am

I got some free hop rhizomes from the usda last fall, they were more rooted cuttings than anything else. I wasnt really impressed, but they was free, so wth. I potted them so i could control the environment a little better. They sat in the pots all winter, and a couple weeks ago, I put them in the ground. I was out walking around yesterday morn and ALL of them have poked their little green heads out of the ground.

And the ones I put in the ground last spring are ready to start being thinned out a bit. I got a four foot high trellis set up to get them started growing up, still have to figure out the 20 foot trellis.

Here is the link to the list from the USDA.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/ht ... n.pl?19415

They say they will supply these for research purposes. I put down I was using them for home beer brewing research. Gotta love a government that gives out stuff for free.

I love this hobby.

Sean
Three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Sean's Brewery & House of Ill Repute
seanhagerty

Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:35 pm

How long did it take the USDA to sent those Hops to you. I ordered some day. Was just wondering if they would come before fall set in. Told them I was doing research to see how they would grow in a commuinty garden in Kansas. Thanks for the free Hops info. :drink

SgtMaj of Marines (retired)
Mickael

PreviousNext

Return to Homegrown