Re: 2009 HOPS!

Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:42 pm

tavish2 wrote:you guys are lucky you can order from anywhere you want. I have to buy only from local stores as WA has some pretty strict laws about bringing hops in from other states.
I don't think you are going to get much sympathy around here since most of the hops and rhizomes are coming FROM Washington...........

Just sayin'.... :unicornrainbow:
PFC BN Army - Tactical Hop Command
Fermenting - Kolsch, Blonde Ale
Kegged: Flanders Brown
Aging: Brown Lambic, Chocolate Porter
President and Chief Bottle Washer - HopRunner Brewing
~Ross
HopRunner

Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:55 pm

Ordered on Sunday and they just showed up about 3 minutes ago. WOW, that was fast! Not quite ready to put them in the ground yet, so can I keep them in the fridge for a while? How long? I need a good 3-4 weeks before any frost worries are mostly gone. Should I put them in planters or will the fridge thing be OK?
On Deck: Brown Porter for Souring in Oak Barrel
Primary: Air
Secondary: Carcinoma Quad
Bottled: 10g Berliner Weiss, Sour Wit, Smoked Hefeweizen
Aging in Oak Barrel: Flanders Red, soon to be bottled, replaced with Porter
huskerbrew

Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:25 pm

Fridge thing will be fine for a while. Where did you order from?
BadRock
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:11 am

I got them from Freshops. Also got some coir yarn to string them up.
On Deck: Brown Porter for Souring in Oak Barrel
Primary: Air
Secondary: Carcinoma Quad
Bottled: 10g Berliner Weiss, Sour Wit, Smoked Hefeweizen
Aging in Oak Barrel: Flanders Red, soon to be bottled, replaced with Porter
huskerbrew

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:54 am

I order Nugget & Galena for groqwing in Peck Ks, That just south of wichita. It Can get hot in July and August. I hope they will grow. I have Sprinklers in my yard etc. Watering is not a problem. What do you'll think :)

SgtMaj of Marines :drink
Mickael

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:22 am

I've found that watering after dark works well for when it's hot... otherwise the water droplets act as little magnifying glasses on the leaves when the sun is strongest during the day if they're planted in direct sun.

Last year the tent caterpillars were bad in PA, so I was worried about the Cascade that I grow, but hops seem to be hairy/prickly enough that most bugs stay off of them.
Nate Diggler

Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:11 am

[quote="Mickael"]I order Nugget & Galena for groqwing in Peck Ks, That just south of wichita. It Can get hot in July and August. I hope they will grow. I have Sprinklers in my yard etc. Watering is not a problem. What do you'll think :)

I think it will be ok keep them well watered. We are in the same boat i am further north. I am going to order 5 from fresh hops put them in with soaker hose to keep the water on them. Think i am going to have to get a timer for june.
The only soldier in the BN ARMY with Ink on his legs promoting The Brewing network and BN ARMY. Prost

"The BNA is my therapist." Mickp
Henning1966

Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:43 am

TheDarkSide wrote:
I'm sure instructions will come with the order, but just in case when I received the rhizomes, should I put them in ziplock bags with a little moisture and put them in the fridge until planting time?

Mine just arrived. They show up just like this, in ziplock baggies with moisture and bound for the fridge until planting time.

BadRock
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Homegrown