spritsey ipa ideas

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:52 am

My friends new house will be finished in about 30 days. I won't be making champagne for him so I wa s going to super carb some beer. I would do a saison because I think it would work nicely but he really only drinks dry ipa's these days.

Any thoughts on how to adjust the ibu to accomodate the carbonic bite. Anyone ever try something similar?
Willys

Re: spritsey ipa ideas

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:05 pm

Willys wrote:Any thoughts on how to adjust the ibu to accomodate the carbonic bite. Anyone ever try something similar?

Are you brewing an entire 5 gallon batch of over carbonated beer or just a small batch? I'm thinking the novelty of opening 50 bottles of beer that foamed up and weren't ready to drink for 30 minutes might wear off sooner rather than later? With that being said, I would maybe add a little extra priming sugar to a few Belgian bottles or over carb a 2.5 gallon keg. If you do end up using bottles, make sure you use bottles that can handle the extra pressure without bursting.

Anyhow you could match the IBU levels of a beer or beer style with high carbonation like Orval and use a clean bittering hop and a lot of late hop bursting.
Afterlab

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Yeah, I agree. Just brew him some good IPA and he'll be happier than having a bunch of foamy stuff go to waste.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Haha. I was thinking about a one gal batch and putting in champagne bottles with cork and cage.

I would love to do an overly dry saison with a fairly light body because I think it would drink well with the fuzz. His house will probably finish too soon anyway so I think I will just stick to my lineup and repitch in to a dark strong and then start a new batch of 001 with an apa and just bring a keg of that up. So much for presentation.
Willys

Return to All Grain Brewing