Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:15 am

madmacaw wrote:
Lufah wrote:I listened to the archive again and he says that he does a 15min mash with a ~30min recirculation. That is a total of 45min contact time. So thats not that much less than a 60min mash that most homebrewers do.

Travis

The 60 minute mash you list would not include vorlauf time I assume, so add and average of 20 minutes to attain a completely clear runoff....80 minutes would be the total grain contact time, right? I am running completely clear lauter to the kettle within 45 to 50 minutes.

Are you sure that a homebrewers vorlauf time is that long? We don't have the high pressure at the bottom of the mash tun. I get very clear runnings after only a few quarts.
yinzer

Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:46 pm

yinzer wrote:
madmacaw wrote:
Lufah wrote:I listened to the archive again and he says that he does a 15min mash with a ~30min recirculation. That is a total of 45min contact time. So thats not that much less than a 60min mash that most homebrewers do.

Travis

The 60 minute mash you list would not include vorlauf time I assume, so add and average of 20 minutes to attain a completely clear runoff....80 minutes would be the total grain contact time, right? I am running completely clear lauter to the kettle within 45 to 50 minutes.

Are you sure that a homebrewers vorlauf time is that long? We don't have the high pressure at the bottom of the mash tun. I get very clear runnings after only a few quarts.

No, that comment was based upon the times contained only within that posting. As you stated, mashing system setups will vary in the time required for a clear, particulate free runoff. In response to that post I was just trying to clarify the difference in perception of a mash rest versus the onset of recirculation.
Cheers!

Eric Watson

Owner, Stonewall Brewery & Restaurant - Bridgeport, WV

Consulting Distiller, Green Bay Distilling - Green Bay, WI

Owner, BrewConsult - Bridgeport, WV

"Make Your Next Beer (or Spirit) A Local One!"
madmacaw

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing