Watermelon Wheat

Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:14 am

I’m perturbed that Sean O’Sullivan from 21st Amendment wouldn’t give his watermelon wheat recipe when he was on the Sept 18th show. Anyone have a recipe?

I'm not going to brew it until the spring, but I guess I just want a good recipe for it before I forget. Does the puree of watermelon just get dumped into primary? Wouldn't this cause infection?
blankaBrew

Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:53 am

I've never brewed one but a friend told me that he would scoop all of the meat out of the watermellon and break it down into a slurry and then add it to the fermenter towards the end of the fermentation. Watermellon flavors are delicate and will fade if they CO2 from the fermentation is real active (push it out the airlock).

He also started with a higher OG expecting the large volume of water from the slurry to dilute the original quantity of sugars.
Danno

Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:10 pm

Basicallly, anytime you add lighter flavorings (light fruit, or vanilla) you want to do it in 2ndary. As Danno said, this way it doesn't get pushed out by the CO2...
Ziggy-san

Re: Watermelon Wheat

Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:08 am

blankaBrew wrote:I’m perturbed that Sean O’Sullivan from 21st Amendment wouldn’t give his watermelon wheat recipe when he was on the Sept 18th show. Anyone have a recipe?

I'm not going to brew it until the spring, but I guess I just want a good recipe for it before I forget. Does the puree of watermelon just get dumped into primary? Wouldn't this cause infection?

Yeah, the other guy's are right on this one. I've experimented with useing watermelon and I've found that the flavor is very subtle at best. You can bump up the quantity to increase the flavor somewhat but I believe most of it will wash out during fermentation. Like Ziggy suggested it's best to put your sanitized fruit into the "secondary". To sanitize I just drop it into some very hot water, not boiling and allow it to steep. Then transfer to fermenter along with some of the tea.
Steve
Steve

Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:37 am

ok I know how

the bidding starts at $1
Thank God All Mighty For Titties and Beer
Ozbrewer

Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:02 am

Ozbrewer wrote:ok I know how

the bidding starts at $1

$1 US?
$1 CAD?
$1 AUD?
$1 NZD?

Ok im bored now, you get the idea
awalker

Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:09 pm

OK for that its now up to

1 BILLION DOLLARS
Ozbrewer

Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:11 pm

Actually if you listen to the first 21 A show Shaun does let the secret slip a few times
Ozbrewer

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing