(re)oxygenation

Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:12 pm

.. In the never-ending quest to produce great beer, I finally did away with the "shake the carboy" method of oxygenation and got my hands on a diffusion stone, and an O2 regulator. Much thanks to Justin, Jon, Dr. Scott and Jamil for all of the recommendations about this on the show (especially the fermentation show).

- I don't have an inline filter. Is contamination from the mini O2 "welding" canisters a common problem?

- How often to re-oxygenate? The instructions that came with my diffusion stone recommend:

- For 1000ml starter propagation: oxygenating 10 seconds every hour, for 6-8 hours

- For 5 gal wort fermentation: oxygenate 1-2 minutes (depening on original gravity) before pitching, and then once again in 12 hours.

I remember Dr. Scott mentioning something on one of the shows about re-oxygenating at about 1-2 hours after pitching, as well? The more I think about it, it seems that you would want to continue to introduce oxygen into the solution at regular intervals as long as the yeast were still in their aerobic phase. Once the yeast transition into the anaerobic phase, true fermentation and alcohol production has begun and you don't want to introduce any more oxygen into that environment. As homebrewers, how can we tell when the aerobic->anaerobic transition has taken place? Approximately 12 hours after pitching?
Last edited by nahthanS on Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nahthanS

Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:43 pm

I can answer the first part of your question. I have used the mini O2 "welding" canisters without any problem without an inline filter. I really don't think it's an issue with 02 as opposed to air. If you were using air then you would want an inline filter.
I can tell you that I hit my starter with 02 for about 20 - 30 seconds, then after I pitch I give the wort 02 about 60 - 90 seconds. For a high gravity brew I may hit it again in two hours for about 60 seconds. That is about all I do and I have had good results. I haven’t done anything over 1.080 though. For a higher gravity brew you may want to hit it again before the 12 hour mark.
Peace!
pvignola

Re: (re)oxygenation

Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:51 pm

nahthanS wrote:- I don't have an inline filter. Is contamination from the mini O2 "welding" canisters a common problem?

No. Don't worry about it.

nahthanS wrote:- How often to re-oxygenate? The instructions that came with my diffusion stone recommend:

- For 1000ml starter propagation: oxygenating 10 seconds every hour, for 6-8 hours

That is probably a good plan, but I'm way to lazy for that. Mine get a blast now and then. Mostly if I think about it.

nahthanS wrote:- For 5 gal wort fermentation: oxygenate 1-2 minutes (depening on original gravity) before pitching, and then once again in 12 hours.

I give my wort 2min every time and then again in a couple hours. Just don't give it anymore once you see signs of fermentation.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Return to All Grain Brewing