Tue May 01, 2007 7:46 am

All the power to ya PP,I think it's great u have 2 nations involved :D
Primary;altbier
Secondry:witbier
Kegged:witbier
Kegged:snpa
milpod

Sun May 20, 2007 5:50 pm

Haven't Been able to access the form for about a month due to work, come back and to my surprise this thread is still running. more power to the innovators.
A man has ony 2 things in life his word and his balls or is that 3 things??
BeerMan

Mon May 21, 2007 4:57 am

I am doing another brew this weekend and I am going to document with more pictures. I have volunteered to give a speech to my homebrew club about BIAB and I want to have pics for the presentation.
Private First Class, Swampmucker Division
GooberMcNutly

Wed May 23, 2007 10:05 am

Just read this thread today, and it sounds really great!

I've been toying with 30 minute mashes to try to get my AG brew day a bit shorter, and I've been able to do 5 gallons in 4 hours. I'll bet I can get it down to 3 hours or less with BIAB.

I'm definitely going to try this on my very next batch - 5 gallons of ordinary bitter.

Now to go read the Aussie thread referred to in Thirsty's original post...
Steve
SteveJ

Thu May 24, 2007 2:16 am

SteveJ wrote:Just read this thread today, and it sounds really great!

I've been toying with 30 minute mashes to try to get my AG brew day a bit shorter, and I've been able to do 5 gallons in 4 hours. I'll bet I can get it down to 3 hours or less with BIAB.

I'm definitely going to try this on my very next batch - 5 gallons of ordinary bitter.

Now to go read the Aussie thread referred to in Thirsty's original post...

Good luck with that thread Steve... its a monster at nearly 40pages!! However, in the first few posts you should find a summary of the next 300 or so posts. That might make your life a little bit easier.

Ordinary bitter is a great choice for a first BIAB. The "smaller" beers work fantastically well and you should get really good efficiency somewhere in the 75% range.

You will be one of the few people who are current AG brewers who have tried out the technique. BIAB is most attractive to new AG brewers, and so most of the BIAB brewers have never brewed AG another way. People who are already into AG mostly dont feel the need to have a go. Only the curious and in your case, time pressed.

Bugeater was going to give it a shot, but I'm not sure if he ever got around to it. Bug??

If you have any questions, ask away and I'll make sure I get you an answer. I think you will really like it.

Thirsty
Thirsty Boy

Fri May 25, 2007 5:07 am

Thirsty,
I've downloaded the thread from AHB so I can read it when offline.

This marks my tenth year as an AG brewer - around 145 batches so far. I've mostly made 10 gallon batches, but have backed off to 5's for the past year so I can have more variety and spend less time per brew session.

I'll probably try BIAB in a few weeks ... right now my main project is trying to make a cask breather that won't set me back a hundred bucks. I'm going to try a standard lp gas regulator (about $15) - they are a fixed pressure of 11" WC, which is about 0.4 psig. Hopefully that will be low enough pressure so that it doesn't push beer out of the pump, but allows CO2 in when I do draw a pint.
Steve
SteveJ

Fri May 25, 2007 5:58 am

SteveJ wrote:This marks my tenth year as an AG brewer - around 145 batches so far. I've mostly made 10 gallon batches, but have backed off to 5's for the past year so I can have more variety and spend less time per brew session.

I'll probably try BIAB in a few weeks ... right now my main project is trying to make a cask breather that won't set me back a hundred bucks. I'm going to try a standard lp gas regulator (about $15) - they are a fixed pressure of 11" WC, which is about 0.4 psig. Hopefully that will be low enough pressure so that it doesn't push beer out of the pump, but allows CO2 in when I do draw a pint.

I was also an all-grain brewer before I started BIAB. I still have my stuff, and might use it for a strange brew, but BIAB seems to be working so far.

For the regulator, try an adjustable LP burner regulator, like used for turkey fryers. They are only a few more bucks and you can dial them all the way down to 0, giving you total control.
Private First Class, Swampmucker Division
GooberMcNutly

Fri May 25, 2007 9:28 pm

Sorry Goober, I was including you as a given because your posts have been so recent. Actually, I dont know that you mentioned being AG... I just kind of assumed. Probably stuff from posts to other threads.

So, how will this LP regulator thing work?? Normal CO2 reg feeds into LP reg at say 10psi, then the LP reg drops it down further to less than 1 ??
Thirsty Boy

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing