Water

Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:45 am

Hello All!

Now let's start with something basic. How about water. I'm an all grain brewer using well water. Lots of iron in it. I have three pick off points to use: 1 straight well water; 2 post iron filter, pre-softener; 3 post iron filter and softener.

I haven't used a carbon block filter yet but I am in the process of building up a system and intend to.

So, which pick off point should I use for my water supply? :?:

Nice music to type by: Bob Dylan's Hurricane.
Blue SKies, Flip
Flip

Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:16 am

I don't know about Iron content, but I would not use water post-softener. You are going to lose some important minerals.
Hateku

Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:29 am

How do your beers turn out? I have a lot of iron in my water and my beers turned out so-so, I switched to all RO water that I treat with salts and it improved my beers immensely.
mashtom

Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:22 am

Why not try doing identical brews with your different water sources? Let your taste buds be your guide. Besides, it gives you more excuse to brew!
Do you smell sumpin'?
BeerBiker

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:09 pm

All the brewers in my area use RO water because our water is to hard with large amounts of chlorine. We use gypsum or calcium chloride to put back some hardness. Anyway I lived on a well before and I wouldn't even drink it without filtering it first. I would go with the post filter and softener and add minerals back to it. It's like working with a blank canvis. Good luck.

Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:12 pm

I guess I forgot to log in. I'm surprised that it let me post without the log in. That could be room for some nasty posting.
Spicoli

Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:50 pm

Definitely pick it off after the iron filter and before the softener. The softener will add salts that will adversely affect your brew.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:52 pm

Hello All!

I've been sampling at Trinity Brewing in Providence, RI so please excuse any typos.

Thanks for the inputs about the brewing water. I too think the appropriate pick off point is after the iron filter, but before the softener. All things being equal.

Testing the beers from each pickoff point so far has yielded little differentiation. What I was looking for was knowledge from other's experiences.

Blue SKies, Flip

Tonight a taste of Imperial Pilsner, Rhode Island IPA, Russian Imperial Stout and then back to the IPA for a finish.

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing