Octoberfest/ Marzen

Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:55 am

I will be brewing my annual O-Fest coming up here in a couple of weeks, I know should have done it sooner. Anyways last year I did a double decoction with a protein rest, sacarafication rest and a mashout. I did not mind the time the decoction took, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it made. What do you guys think? Should I stick with the decoction or go with a single infusion?

TIA
Mashman
Mashman

Re: Octoberfest/ Marzen

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:52 am

Mashman wrote:I will be brewing my annual O-Fest coming up here in a couple of weeks, I know should have done it sooner. Anyways last year I did a double decoction with a protein rest, sacarafication rest and a mashout. I did not mind the time the decoction took, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it made. What do you guys think? Should I stick with the decoction or go with a single infusion?

TIA
Mashman

Single infusion should be fine. I did some experiemtns and blind tastings recently of the same recipes made as single infusions and decoctions. There was no consensus among the tasters as to which beer was decocted and no preference for one version over the other. The tasters were 7 BJCP judges and a pro brewer.
Denny

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:06 pm

Denny,

I have often heard that melanoidin malt can replicate the flavors gained from doing a decoction. Have you had any experience using melanoidin malt? If so how much did you use?

TIA
Mashman
Mashman

Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:50 am

I second the single infusion, unless you really enjoy all of the rests. It sounds crazy but some people do. I made a Oktober Fest type ale and did a single infusion. It came out great.
Peace!
pvignola

Return to All Grain Brewing