What grain mill to buy?

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:51 am

I need to buy a new mill and was wondering if anyone had some recommendations. I brew six gallon batches, once or twice a month. Given that amount of brewing, I'm not sure if I have to pony up for a three roller mill, or if it really does provide a much better crush. :jnj
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer."
-Dave Barry
bklynbrewer

Re: What grain mill to buy?

Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:49 pm

My $0.02.

Don't. Use the LHBS's and put the money into another part of your brewery.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:44 am

I have always really liked my Barley Crusher. A good price and gives a consistent mill every time.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:52 am

Kbar wrote:My $0.02.

Don't. Use the LHBS's and put the money into another part of your brewery.

If only it were that easy! My local (in Moscow, Russia) sells Weyermann grain, but they don't have a mill for the store. So I can only buy it whole.
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer."
-Dave Barry
bklynbrewer

Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:58 am

Sorry to hear - sounds like a necessity for you then.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:11 am

Yeah, I am starting to feel bad about using the APO for grain.
-Dave Barry
bklynbrewer

Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:31 pm

bklynbrewer wrote:Yeah, I am starting to feel bad about using the APO for grain.

If you're in Russia, you might be able to source the Bulldog Malt Mill from the UK or Ireland.

It has one feature that is sorely missing in the US Homebrew offerings: geared / "cogged" wheel transmission that powers both rollers at the exact same speed.

Most home brew malt mills, unlike professional mills, only spin one roller and friction between the spinning roller and the grain then causes the 2nd or 2nd and 3rd rollers to spin: this creates huge frictional forces on the grain husk which tends to tear/shred it resulting in a worst filtration bed and easier extraction of tannins from grain husks. -If both rollers are connected by a gear and run at the same speed you have far less frictional force on the grain husks and you get more intact husks with less tannin extraction and less likelihood of stuck mashes.

The interesting thing is that the Bulldog mills aren't more expensive than US alternatives: http://www.bulldogbrews.co.uk/products/ ... -mill.html

159 Euros from Ireland, but they're just buying it from the UK and importing it so look for a UK seller: https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/brewf ... -1975.html.

Adam
biertourist

Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:37 am

Thanks for the option, that is definitely something I'll look into if and when I need a different mill. I wound up going with an M3, I can source things from the US and not have to pay insane shipping costs. Wouldn't be able to do the same with the UK.
-Dave Barry
bklynbrewer

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing