Finings and enzymes

Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:22 am

Has anyone done experimentation with biofine clear, Poly Clar and/or Clarity Ferm? I realize that Poly Clar works more on polyphenols while the biofine addresses protiens, but how do they compare to Clarity Ferm? Both finings are significantly cheaper than the enzyme, but do they achieve similar results? Does the enzyme have less of an effect on reducing bitterness than the finings as it isn't dropping anything out of the beer?
bklynbrewer

Re: Finings and enzymes

Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:36 am

I've used clarity fermentor, pretty much every brew for almost a year. (Like about 30 batches)

It looks like water. There's nothing to drop out. If it makes beer clearer, its not dramatic unless your haze problem is protein haze. I did not notice a reduction in foam production or retention at all. Some claim they notice a reduction in body but I did not. My gluten intolerant guinea pig moved away so I don't know how much it reduces gluten, but I don't doubt the reports. I quit using it simply because my haze problem wasn't protein related.
Klickitat Jim

Re: Finings and enzymes

Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:23 am

Thanks Klickitat
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer."
-Dave Barry
bklynbrewer

Return to All Grain Brewing