Sour beer from second runnings

Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:24 pm

I am brewing an Imperial stout Monday and have a pack of wyeast Roeselare kicking around so I was thinking of using my second runnings and pitching the roeselare for a dark sour. has anyone done this? how did it turn out?
On tap:Meg's wit , Oddball Stout, Janet's Brown with all Columbus
The cellar:Krampus American Barleywine,American capitalist stout,American capitalist stout V1.2
The fermentor:Dark sour, Helles, DIPA,
The works:Golden sour,Munich dunkel, Saison
nodstonothing

Re: Sour beer from second runnings

Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:49 am

Personally I don't like dark & sour together, they don't taste well together IMHO, but if only using second runnings so that it won't be terribly roasty and acrid, then it might turn out well for you. Never know until you try.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:45 am

My only concern would be the roast & oversparging the 2nd runnings. I guess for me it would depend on how tough it is to get Roselaire at the moment.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:20 pm

Do it. Great experiment.......
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:11 pm

OG ended up being 1.052 ( I added 1lb DME) Pitched straight Roselaire and some dregs. We'll see how it turns out in a while.
On tap:Meg's wit , Oddball Stout, Janet's Brown with all Columbus
The cellar:Krampus American Barleywine,American capitalist stout,American capitalist stout V1.2
The fermentor:Dark sour, Helles, DIPA,
The works:Golden sour,Munich dunkel, Saison
nodstonothing

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:58 pm

Curious to see how this turns out
Big Beerds Brewing

Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:55 pm

I use to do a lot of second runnings beers when I first started brewing. Then, after a while I realized that most of the 2nd running beers I brewed simply didn't come out well. Either they were lacking in flavor, thin bodied, or had astringency issues from over-sparging. Sometimes when completing the double brew day I would fuck things up and forget to add kettle finings or hop additions when both brews were in full swing.

Now when I brew, I focus solely on that one batch and make sure that I brew it to the best of my abilities on that day. I still dump batches that are not up to my expectations or if I get bored of drinking them. Hey, its only beer..... 8)
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to All Grain Brewing