Re: Bulk grain containers

Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:44 am

I've been using these for years and they've worked out great: http://www.amazon.com/Vittles-Vault-STA ... B0002H3S5U

I can fit a 50/55# bag of grain in each one.
leaky_porch

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:28 am

leaky_porch wrote:I've been using these for years and they've worked out great: http://www.amazon.com/Vittles-Vault-STA ... B0002H3S5U

I can fit a 50/55# bag of grain in each one.

These look perfect and not to pricey. Free shipping too, huh? I think I might order two of these.
humpadilo

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:56 am

I'd definitely get some of those if I wasn't a cheap ass :D
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:39 pm

Does anyone know if a full 55# bag of grain can be stuffed through the opening of those vittles ? it looks too narrow.

I mean the entire bag of grain inside the bag, without having to pour the grain out of the bag. It would be nice to keep the grain in the bag and and the bag in the container.
craigevo

Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:27 am

Considering they're 60# max, I would doubt it.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:04 pm

Vittles makes em up to 80#, also the sizes are for dog food which is normally much less dense than malted grain. So a 50# dog food container would likely fit 60# or so of grain if you poured it all out of the sack into the container.

But anyway, my question was regarding the opening. can a full sack fit through or is it going to be too fat ?
craigevo

Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:21 am

The gamma seal lids are awesome. You can get them on amazon for about $10 each. I bought 6 lids, and put them on 6 home depot buckets. They work really well and are relatively inexpensive if you do it this way. two buckets will almost store a 50 lb sack, maybe 22 lb grain each, so assuming you buy bags to brew, you can use what you need that day, and put the rest in two buckets. Ends up about $13 per bucket with gamma lid. Because they are screw off, you won't damage the lid over time, like you do with the snap on lids (with rubber seal).
On Deck:
Cream Ale
Fermenting:
Dusseldorf Altbier
On Tap:
Brown Porter

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. What horribly boring lives they must lead." Micky Rourke, Barfly
Crackin

Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:29 pm

Grocery stores that have a bakery will sometimes give their empty 5 gal icing buckets away for free. They have a rubber or foam seal too. The icing is greasey, but comes right off with soap and water.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing