Mimicking the BrewEasy design by using total water in RIMS

Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:47 am

After drooling over the BrewEasy for months, it occurred to me that I could operate my current system in the same way minus the automated component. Instead of using RIMS with only the water in the MT, I have used the total water needed for the entire brew.

I am only using a MT and BK.

MT has the normal volume of water based on 1.25 qt / 1 lb grain, and remains at this level throughout mash.

BK contains the remainder.

Mash is recirculated to BK were heat is added as needed and then back to MT.

When mash is done BK ball valve is closed and MT is lautered.

Does anyone see any major problems with this technique? I am hitting my gravities, volumes, and pH. This really simplified my systems while allowing my to recirculate and step mash.
Brudolph

Re: Mimicking the BrewEasy design by using total water in RI

Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:43 am

I think the great thing about home-brewing is that, if you're making good, consistent beer, then whatever setup you have is perfect for you! Sure, it's nice to drool over the fancy stuff, but it sounds like you got exactly what you wanted without having to spend two grande. And, again, if you're enjoying the beer you brew and hitting your numbers, the only reason to change anything is if you think you can improve it. :D
GilesTH

Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:17 pm

There's no problem with that method if the result tastes good. I'd be curious to know how you "hit your numbers" since most calculations involve some sort of sparging; from your description it sounds like you are doing a no-sparge mash and diluting the liquor with water in the boil kettle. Are you calculating sugar extract and subtracting the volume absorbed by the grain?

I think the only downside to your method (I've thought about doing something similar - a no-sparge in my B3 1550 HERMS with all of the water added to the mash) is your efficiency will suffer because of the highly concentrated liquor left in the tun that is not rinsed out. And that's only a problem if you care about the efficiency. A bit more grain and you've compensated.

-- Scott
animaldoc

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:02 am

I am meeting all of the est numbers from BeerSmith, including pre-boil gravity, pre-boil volume, bottling volume, pH. Plus the clarity is superb. In BS I choose the no sparge mash profile. Efficiency has suffered. I seem to be averaging 62% ish. As I understand from a variety of BN podcasts, that is not such a bad thing. I have heard JP and JZ talk about modest efficiencies creating a smoother beer.

Still brewing for $.50 per pint :jnj ......sometimes.

I have yet to taste any of the beer. There is an Oktoberfest, Stout, Vanilla Coffee Porter, and Weizen in fermenters currently. Weizen is up first.
Brudolph

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:26 am

Lower efficiency can be better, but what they're talking about is not aiming for 90%. 62% is fine if you're fine with it, but you're not going to get any benefit from it that you're not getting with 75%.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:30 am

Looking back at Blichmann's website, the correct term for this technique is kettle-RIMS or K-RIMS.

I believe that I will be able to tweak my process to get over 70% efficiency.
Brudolph

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:40 pm

You mentioned the 'no sparge' mash profile in BS, I don't see that available. Do you mean you're choosing one of the BIAB (brew in a bag) profiles, which is very similar to this method? It's a recirculated BIAB. I average about 70% when I recirc my biab through my heat exchanger. BS automatically bumps up the grist when using the BIAB profiles, which is what you need for full volume mashing.

In my experience, you really need to watch your mash ph when doing the full volume water. Bru 'n water is the bidness. I've had to add upwards of 4-5 tsp of phosphoric acid to some brews.
jonboris

Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:10 pm

I misspoke about the no sparge setting. I was thinking about the no mash out option. Everytime I run into this roadblock and choose the fly sparge option. Then I know how much to keep in the MT and the remainder of the total volume stays in the BK. Those levels are maintained throughout the mash while recirc from MT <> BK.
Brudolph

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing