pH? Correct tartness in finished beer?

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:43 am

I just moved to a new state, and brewed a dark beer recipe that I'm fond of-- a weizenbock.

However, I believe my water chemistry may have been different enough from my previous location to have dropped the mash pH too low, because my fermented beer is a bit tart.

For the time being, I'd like to troubleshoot this problem assuming it's not infected.

Today I am going to the homebrew store to get pH strips. How can I correct perceived acidity / tartness in a finished beer?

----------

OG: 1.068, FG: 1.010, ABV: 7.6-7.9%

Single Infusion, 148 degF, 90 min.

60 min boil, Magnum bittering only, WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast, 72 degF primary

Grain bill:

- Canada Malting Superior Pilsen
- Best Red Wheat
- Best Light Munich
- Briess Dark Munich
- Briess C40
- Castle Special B
- Thomas Fawcett & Sons Pale Chocolate

(This question is also posted here: http://homebrew.stackexchange.com/questions/12789/how-do-i-correct-acidity-tartness-in-a-fermented-beer)

EDIT: See my response later in the thread for water specifics.
Last edited by GSak on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GSak

Re: pH? Correct tartness in finished beer?

Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:36 pm

If the water at your new place has lower alkalinity than your old water, it is possible that the mash pH was lower than you typically experienced at the old place and that can echo into the finished beer.

If you perceive your beer to be too tart, then it is. It's only your tastes that matter. To correct this problem in the beer, this is a place where adding chalk to the beer CAN work to help neutralize the excess acidity in the beer. Some of you may know that chalk is not suitable for mashing water since it does not dissolve quickly in the low acidity of the mash. But there is more acidity in the finished beer and it will dissolve there.

I suggest adding very small measured amounts to a glass of this beer and see if you can find an addition that softens that acidity to match your tastes. Then scale that amount up to match your batch and add it. I do recommend erring on the low side, in other words, don't add too much chalk. Beers drink better when they are a little tarter than not tart enough.
Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Download Bru'n Water here:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Water/464551136933908?ref=bookmarks
mabrungard

Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:53 am

Realize that fixing it afterward is never going to be great. Like a cook saying "oooh, too salty, I'll add sugar." The best way would be to remove something rather than add. Too late for that right? So I would be getting my water tested and do some research on how to predict and adjust. Martin's site is awesome. Kai has some great stuff. The water book. Brew Strong episodes... I use Brewer's Friend for predicting water issues. Its easy even for a moron like me.
Klickitat Jim

Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:41 pm

If Bellevue, WA is your current location, I remember them saying at the Seattle NHC that the water up there was pretty much Pilsen water.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:48 pm

Thanks everybody. I admit I am a total newbie when it comes to water chemistry, and appreciate the help.

By the way, I do work in Bellevue but don't brew there-- I live in Kirkland.

Here is last year's water report for my area:

Alkalinity, Total (as CaCO3), ppm.....................................................20.5
Calcium, (as CaCO3), ppm..............................................................26.0
Hardness, (as CaCO3), ppm............................................................27.3
Hardness, (as CaCO3), grains/gal. ....................................................1.6
Iron, ppb ..................................................................................43
Manganese, ppb...........................................................................2.2
pH, range ( January–July 2013, 10-90th percentile)................................8.12-8.57
Potassium, ppm ...........................................................................0.12
Sodium, ppm ..............................................................................1.02
Sulfate, ppm...............................................................................2.8
Temperature, 2013 annual range,C˚..................................................3.8-20.6

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that actually looks a bit on the alkaline side.
GSak

Return to All Grain Brewing