red ale

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:56 am

I'm going to try to brew an all grain red ale for my very first brew. But about all I know is that I'm going to use Maris Otter as my base malt. I've tried to find the basics about it but about all I can find are peoples recipes. I would like to find out what the ratio is for the malts and the hops and what kind of yeast to use. Also what kind of roasted barley to use. Any info from past experiences, books, websites, or threads would be greatly appreciated. Happy Brewing! :jnj
jleix89

Re: red ale

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:34 pm

I would recommend following a recipe for your first brew. Even with extract experience, there's enough stuff to learn on your first AG batch without having to worry about your recipe. It's always wise to get your process & system dialed in before anything else.

Pick up a copy of Brewing Classic Styles by Asshat Zainasheff & Twinkletoes Palmer. Lots of great recipes to try & learn from & a great resource/reference when you're writing your own recipes.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:37 pm

Are you looking to brew an Irish red, American Amber, or hoppy west coast red ale?
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:11 pm

I agree with Ozwald. Practice on some Basic recipes the first few times, learn your system and how to react if and when things don't go quite right (like not hitting mash temps, stuck mash, boil overs)
On Tap: nuthin :(
Fermenting: Dry Stout
Next up: APA
bigBbrews

Return to All Grain Brewing