Pilsner malt in APA and IPA.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:47 pm

I remember hearing Tasty say that he always puts 100-150g of Pilsner malt in his APA and IPA recipes. Does anyone remember that or why? I thought he said it was for better attenuation.
ToadLicker

Re: Pilsner malt in APA and IPA.

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:29 pm

I do remember in an older episode(2007-09ish) I believe he stated he thought he got better conversion with mixed base malts. (edit I think he said attention not convertion). In that show he hadn't done any experiments, and it was anecdotal. I'm still 4 years behind in the archives, so there might be a more recent discussion.
Last edited by Bad Goat Brewing on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Goat Brewing

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:57 am

Typical Pilsner Malt is kilned at a lower temp than a standard Pale Ale Malt so it has more enzymes available for conversion, which is helpful (but not always necessary) for certain grain bills. The Pilsner malt also has less protein which helps to lighten the body of the beer and it has a "cleaner" and "lighter" flavor which can help to accentuate other flavors in the beer such as the hops and yeast.
Afterlab

Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:02 am

Not sure if he's on the Troegs shows (6-27-2011) or not, but they use Pilsner in all of their beers. If Tasty was there I'm sure he'd say why he likes it too.
NervousDad

Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:17 pm

I remember him saying that the addition of pilsner malt also helps to broaden the malt backbone of these beers.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:03 pm

In The Sunday Session 02-17-14, the Imperial IPA from Russian River say they use pils malt to add some dryness to the beer
Private First Class BN Militia 1st Sheep Wrangler Division
Up next: IIPA
Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Kezzor: empty, Cider, empty, Wheat Beer, empty
hop loader

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:28 am

Just got through this in the archives... As hop loader suggests, it was to add dryness.

It's a hard job fighting for freedom in Australia, but someone's got to do it <cracks another beer>
Crofty

Return to All Grain Brewing