IPA Newbie

Mon May 26, 2014 9:21 am

Hi Guys, I'm a novice. Just joined. Have done one 'kit' beer which turned out good. Now to want to brew from scratch. I know there are experts out there who could tell me where to download recipes for Green Flash/Stone/Racer5 and similar. Looking for help and directions to good technical resources. :)
malcadam

Re: IPA Newbie

Mon May 26, 2014 10:12 am

Welcome-

Here's a link to a recipe I make that is along those lines and has been converted to extract-
I love this beer & I think you will too-

If you can't get Munich LME, just add the equivalent pale lme.
http://www.brewtility.com/ViewRecipe.as ... ew=extract

It's for 10 gallons, so feel free to chop everything in half for a 5 gallon batch.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Mon May 26, 2014 8:44 pm

malcadam wrote:Hi Guys, I'm a novice. Just joined. Have done one 'kit' beer which turned out good. Now to want to brew from scratch. I know there are experts out there who could tell me where to download recipes for Green Flash/Stone/Racer5 and similar. Looking for help and directions to good technical resources. :)

Best advice given to me when I started out was buying a copy of Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil and How to Brew by Palmer. Read BCS cover to cover and use HTB as a reference. Listen to the Brewstrong and the Jamil show programs on temp control, yeast, sanitizing etc...(you can get archives on iTunes or on this site). In addition, you will find great info on the Session episodes. I download them with Doggcatcher on my Android. There is enough info with those resources alone to become a world class brewer, which does not explain why I have not! Welcome, hope you also post your results!
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Wed May 28, 2014 6:42 am

Welcome.

Check out the Can You Brew It episode for Green Flash West Coast IPA...Nathan Smith did this one and it was excellent.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Sat May 31, 2014 12:41 am

You could try brew in a bag BIAB as the next step to all grain brewing. Initial outlay is very little and you still get all the flexibility and conrol of the full 3 vessel version.
bigchris

Return to All Grain Brewing