Re: Grain bed that just wouldn't set

Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:53 pm

I take a piece of aluminum foil, punch holes in it and lay it on top. Pour gently, and you're good.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:49 pm

KYT wrote:
Ozwald wrote:Depends.

Each grain bill is going to be a little different. Each mill is going to be a little different. Each mashtun is going to be a little different. Recirc until it's set. Personally I use a continuously recirculating system. You can't hurt it by recirculating too much.

I don't have a pump, I guess I could just fill a bottling bucket up and keep emptying it on top.
I'll try that next time.

Be sure to get a good Mashout rest ... otherwise you will be losing a lot of temp and mess up all the work you put into the mashing part of the process.
Eagle Dude

On Tap: Barrel Fermented Berlinerweisse 3.2%; American Pale Ale 6.3%, Amarillo Blond 5%
Aging: Flander's Red in a 60 gallon Merlot barrel
Fermenting: Robust Porter 6.5%
EagleDude

Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:33 pm

Maybe try not opening up your valve that far at first. Try a bit slower flow until it starts to clear up a little, then open it a bit more.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing