How many times do I batch sparge?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:55 am

Hi, Im hoping someone can answer this question.

I do batch sparging, how do I know or calculate how many times I should sparge? and how do I divide up the water? Is every sparge an even amount, or should the volume vary? I know it depends on each recipe, but how is that volume of water divided up?
Thanks

Ayla
ayla

Re: How many times do I batch sparge?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:28 pm

This answer is not going to make you happy, but it really is up to you.

That said, I tried no sparge, 1 sparge, 2 sparges, 3 sparges, and infinite sparges (eg, fly sparging). I get the best efficiency using 3 sparges. It also takes the longest.

For volume, I used 1.25 qts per lb strike water, then adjusted sparge volume to hit the target boil volume based on absorbtion rates and my standard measured boiloff rate (1.25 gal/hr).
I always divided my sparge water equally because that's easiest.

Try this experiment:
Get a pitcher full of water. Go to the sink.
Wash your hands and get them really soapy.
Pull the stopper on the bottom of the sink closed so the water stays.

For the first attempt, dump the whole pitcher in the sink and put your hands in the water to rinse the soap.
Notice how much soap residue is left on your hands because they are bathing in the water.
Empty the sink, refill the pitcher, re-soap your hands.

On the second attempt, pour half the water in the basin and rinse off your hands with it.
Then drain the sink, refill with the other half of the pitcher, and rinse your hands again.
Notice how more of the soap is gone.

Try it one more time with 3 rinses using 1/3 of the water.
You will probably have the cleanest (least soapy feeling) hands after this try.

In my experience, the water removes more of the sugars when batch sparging using multiple batches like that.
But, the cost is time to collect 3 sparges, reset the grain bed, etc. (vorlauf).

Bottom line, pick what works best for you and what becomes most reproducible.
The best brewers hit their gravity every time because their process is done the same way every time. It becomes reproducible, which is more important than getting a high extraction efficiency number.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:25 am

When I batch sparge I do 2-3 depending on the og. The more grain I have the more strike water I have which means the less I have left for sparges. Usually anything 1.04-1.07 I'll do 3 batches and higher than that I'll do only two.

I always have some dme on hand too. My efficiency is around 73%
theobrew

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:31 am

WoW 73% is good if not great, I have heard you want to shoot for 70% because if you get to high of extraction rate you get taninns and other junk? Personally I make 6 gallon batches (end of boil) 5 1/2 gal in carboy, then 5 gal in keg. I shoot for a 70% extraction rate, but only get about 60% :oops: . I have only done about 6 batches on my pico system and only did fly sparging, maybe I should look into batch sparging?

Hope this helps,
Chugly
Trying to make the best homebrew, to pass across any ones palette!
chugly

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:49 am

chugly wrote:

WoW 73% is good if not great, I have heard you want to shoot for 70% because if you get to high of extraction rate you get taninns and other junk? Personally I make 6 gallon batches (end of boil) 5 1/2 gal in carboy, then 5 gal in keg. I shoot for a 70% extraction rate, but only get about 60% :oops: . I have only done about 6 batches on my pico system and only did fly sparging, maybe I should look into batch sparging?

Hope this helps,
Chugly

You can push 80% without worry on most systems. I could get 81-82% pretty reliably with either batch or fly. It's not which process you use, it's how well you perform that process.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:59 am

Thank you. I tried the water experiment, it definitely makes sense. I understand the concept better now. I will try doing three on my next batch.
ayla

Return to All Grain Brewing