Checking Star San pH?

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:58 pm

How do you all check the pH on your Star San if you are keeping mixed solutions handy? Do the pH strips give precise enough measurements? I think it needs to be <3.5 based on the Star San interview podcast. Has anyone used the small digital meters? I see very mixed reviews on Amazon. Haven't seen any on brew supply sites. Thx.

ps. Did a search query with no results for this topic, hope its not a repeat.
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Re: Checking Star San pH?

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:35 pm

I have never checked the pH of my starsan and have kept it stored in a sealed ale pail up to 3 mos with no issues. I do mix it with distilled water though for better storage. I really only make new batches when there starts to be a lot of crap settling on the bottom. I brew at least twice a mos with lots of other starsan related uses as well, ie bottling, blending, starters, kegging, etc.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:34 pm

brewinhard wrote:I have never checked the pH of my starsan and have kept it stored in a sealed ale pail up to 3 mos with no issues. I do mix it with distilled water though for better storage. I really only make new batches when there starts to be a lot of crap settling on the bottom. I brew at least twice a mos with lots of other starsan related uses as well, ie bottling, blending, starters, kegging, etc.

Thank you.
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:29 am

Strips should be fine to check it. They're off by a little bit, but fresh StarSan is in the 2.5-2.7 range IIRC. If it starts getting close to the upper limit, make some fresh stuff.

Edit: I wouldn't bother with one of those cheap meters either, you have to go through the extra hassle of caring for a pH meter, but you're going to still be getting the accuracy of the strips at best. That's one of those items I'd go all-in on right away... if you choose to get one.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:27 am

Precision Labs makes a wine pH range test strip, the low end of which will register at pH 2.8.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Return to All Grain Brewing