Re: How much longer does fly sparging take YOU?

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:20 am

There's only one true BD in my :nutters:
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:50 am

:cry:
Bobbie Dooley

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:47 pm

Ozwald wrote:There's only one true BD in my :nutters:

Is that why Bobbies D avatar is fire works?
Bad Goat Brewing

Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:48 pm

I batch sparge and I drain the mash tun at a trickle, it might not be necessary but I'm not in a hurry so I figure go as slow as possible for the whole thing and junk
ScottyB-Brewing

Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:51 am

I gave fly sparaging a shot yesterday. Man is that a pain-in-the-ass without automation. I had to consonantly watch and adjust my pumps. I won't be trying that again until i get a float or some other form of automation. On the plus side it didn't add much time, just a lot more effort.

On the down side, my efficiency went way up, to far up I think. I brewed a recipe I always nail spot on (79% efficiency). I got a lot of flavors in the wort i normally don't get. Immediately after my first fly sparage, I brewed the recipe again with batch sparging to compare, and yeah there are some flavors in my fly sparage wort i'm not too excited about. I guess i'll know for sure when it's done fermenting.
Bad Goat Brewing

Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Fly sparging can definitely be tricky to nail down the process for consistency. Over sparging or sparging too hot with the incorrect pH can most definitely lead to a whole host of off flavors in the wort.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:47 pm

brewinhard wrote:Fly sparging can definitely be tricky to nail down the process for consistency. Over sparging or sparging too hot with the incorrect pH can most definitely lead to a whole host of off flavors in the wort.

My sparage water was 170, no clue about my PH. I really have not gotten into water chemistry to much.
Bad Goat Brewing

Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:57 pm

It takes some practice. Matching the flow rates gets really easy after a while, even without automation. One of the tricks is get your outflow to a nice, consistent & slow rate & don't touch it. Tweak the incoming sparge water rate to match whatever the outflow is. If you just watch the liquid level in the mashtun & try not to let it go up or down it's not too bad. Just don't make major adjustments - tap it a little closer & watch it for a minute, another little tap, another tap... You don't want to be too low, too high, too low, too high - jumping back & forth across that fence - start on one side of the fence & slowly creep up to it. With practice you can make one adjustment & be right there without even thinking about it.

What was your final mash temp before sparging?

Pick up a jar of test strips as well - they're pretty cheap & very useful throughout the whole mashing process. A meter is more accurate of course, but for starters just knowing that you're pretty close is good enough.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to All Grain Brewing