Affects of topping up on flavour

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:53 pm

I recently brewed a robust porter (AG batch). I ended up boiling off a lot more than I hoped, and so to hit my OG target I topped it off with 0.5 gallons of water (using Beersmith's dilution tool). My question is: What affect, if any, does topping off have on flavour?

After primary fermentation the beer was rather bland. But I don't know if this was because I topped up (effectively diluting) the wort or because of the recipe itself. Any thoughts?
Noetikon

Re: Affects of topping up on flavour

Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:03 pm

Topping off will dilute the gravity and the hop bitterness and flavor. When you topped off did you reach your desired original gravity per the recipe? If so, then you should have maintained the malt to hop balance you were shooting for in the first place.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:08 pm

brewinhard wrote:Topping off will dilute the gravity and the hop bitterness and flavor. When you topped off did you reach your desired original gravity per the recipe? If so, then you should have maintained the malt to hop balance you were shooting for in the first place.

I topped up to hit my target gravity of 1.061, which was the original OG in the recipe. This helps me narrow down the source of the problem.
Noetikon

Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:04 am

Which means that your hops are going to be a little light, but with a robust porter & only half a gallon of water you probably won't even notice.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to All Grain Brewing