Shift in RA Thinking?

Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Because I'm just coming back of a couple year break, I've been snooping around for any new tips and tricks that may have surfaced. I found a dandy a few minutes ago and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to read/hear from the source.

When I left off, I was relying heavily on the residual alkalinity thoughts presented in the Brew Strong water episodes a few years ago. Someone just linked a quote from AJ Delange from another forum stating that brewers have shifted from this train of thought.

Help a brother out.
Primary: Nada Damn Thing IPA
Secondary: ESB
Kegged: Jack Schittenweiss
BigNastyBrew

Re: Shift in RA Thinking?

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:39 pm

The new water book clears a lot of this up. I highly recommend it.
siwelwerd

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:43 am

RA is still valid. Its just that the correlation that John originally proposed between RA and beer color is too flawed to work reliably. There are other things than color that influence the need for RA in brewing water. You can read more about the chemistry of brewing water on the Water Knowledge page of the Bru'n Water website.
Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Download Bru'n Water here:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Water/464551136933908?ref=bookmarks
mabrungard

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:08 am

Thanks for the suggestions. What's the name of the book?

edit: found the book and ordered it. Going to read the hops and yeasts books after.
BigNastyBrew

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:19 pm

I think the gist of it is that water models are useful, but no substitute for using a pH meter when mashing.
Eamonn

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:34 pm

Eamonn wrote:I think the gist of it is that water models are useful, but no substitute for using a pH meter when mashing.

Oh I agree. I always calibrate and check room temperature mash on brew day.

My book just arrived, but I listened to John talk about water in the most recent discussion on brew strong. I was really surprised at the results AJ Delange found with chalk not being a factor when trying to increase mash pH where applicable.
BigNastyBrew

Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:33 am

Big call that one about the chalk.... I swear chalk has raised my mash pH when I've used it.
Eamonn

Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:56 am

Eamonn wrote:Big call that one about the chalk.... I swear chalk has raised my mash pH when I've used it.

Well that's a good point. John never mentioned how often these tests were done and if they showed repeatability. I'm not necessarily doubting the work of a well-known and trusted scientist, but I am at least curious.
BigNastyBrew

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing