Re: Water question from the new book

Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:22 pm

siwelwerd wrote:
Stinkfist wrote:So is using chalk actually detrimental? Or does it just not add anything?

It adds something, the question is just "how much" due to poor solubility. I use chalk in my dark beers as it helps limit the acrid, over roasted coffee-type roast flavors. I may switch to other methods by the time I finish the water book.

Pickling lime aka slaked lime is an effective way to add alkalinity. I only add it if my pH meter indicates mash pH under 5.2. I haven't needed it on anything lighter than ~16 srm so far. When I have used it, it raised mash pH quickly with a very tiny amount. I get it in the canning section at the grocery store.
Did I Brew That?
Steve Urquell

Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Stinkfist wrote:So is using chalk actually detrimental? Or does it just not add anything?

Chalk will neutralize the small quantity of stronger acids in the mash, but it is apparently relatively unreactive with the phytic acid produced by the reaction of malt phytins and the hardness ions. You can raise the mash pH by a tenth or two with a large dose of chalk. But the real problem is that chalk is the gift that keeps giving. Any particulate or partially dissolved chalk that is carried into the kettle may finally have an opportunity to raise the kettle wort pH and that might not be what you want. I find that it is better to use a more reactive alkalinity source and get exactly what you need with a small dose than overdose with chalk and possibly screw the wort pH later.
Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Download Bru'n Water here:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Water/464551136933908?ref=bookmarks
mabrungard

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:52 pm

Really cool to see Martin commenting here. Bru'n water has made a significant impact on my brewing lately. Thank you very much for the product you've created and for distributing it freely. Very very cool.
dsjohns

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing