Condos and brewing

Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:46 pm

I am thinking about moving out of my house and into a condo but I'm not doing it if I can't brew. Anybody live in a condo and all grain brew?
La Ola es Mio!
SoCal Surfer

Re: Condos and brewing

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:55 pm

I live in a two bedroom flat with no basement or attic and an open kitchen living and dining room. All grain brewing In this space is easyish.
I use the stove to heat up hot liquor for sparges and step mashes use a cooler lifted up on a chair as a mash tun and the boil kettle has a 2200w internal element. The only issue I have is space for fermenters and bottles.
Hope that helps and give us a shout if you need more info
j1m1

Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:18 am

I brewed in a small 2 br apt for years without a problem. The biggest thing you have to worry about (especially with a condo) is if there's an HOA-type thing going on with weird restrictions which is going to vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. I wouldn't ask directly about brewing, but I would ask if there's a charter in place & read it before making the move.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:47 am

I brewed 5 gal all-grain on a stovetop in a small studio apartment for several years. Brewing outside is easier and more fun, but living in an apartment or condo should not stop you from brewing excellent beer at home.

Make sure that you have adequate insurance coverage to limit your personal liability should you spill a large amount of beer and damage the parts of the structure belonging to the condo association or property belonging to your neighbors.
maxwell

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:09 am

I've been brewing from a condo-style apartment several years. The key for me is having a utility closet where I can keep my carboys at somewhat of a constant temperature, and using wet towels to bring the temp down when fermenting. I do all-grain, full boils on the stove top in an 8-gallon pot (BIAB), and it works great for me.
OregonianRedbird

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:25 am

I'm doing all grain batches on my stove. It's all 3 gallon batches, but it works out great!
GilesTH

Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:41 am

I live in a 3 floor condo with a garage on the bottom level. I all grain brew in the garage, not a problem.
My Homebrewing Adventures/Blog

Image @Lewybrewing
________
Corporal BN Army. South San Diego Platoon, TJ Protection Force
Lewybrewing

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:51 am

I was brewing 5 gal all grain batches in my 1bed apartment on an electric coil stove. Put the mash tun on the refrigerator sparged w/ a small quart cup. I could get 7 gal to boil in about 45 - 1 hr depending on how cold it was in the apartment. Go for it!

I have a pretty wide pot for boiling that would cover two of the heating coils, boils were ok - i had to partially cover the kettle with the lid - needed to pay a lot of attention to avoid boilovers.
DeezMaltz

Return to All Grain Brewing