Ok, if secondarying doesn't do any good then why....

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:06 pm

...does my beer seem to get better after it's been bottled for 3 to 4 weeks? Isn't it techincally going thru the secondary process in the bottle? I have just switched from bottling to using a Tap-a-Draft system and now I'm wondering what to do about "aging" my beer. Usually I'd bottle up 48 bottles of beer and for a couple of weeks I'd drink decent beer, and then the beer would get better and better.

Would it do the same if I started doing a secondary you think?

~Matt
Sergeant, BN Army!

Member of the Mid-State Brew Crew
Techie101

Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:19 pm

when you Bottle condition you are infact doing a 2ndry fermentation......why does your beer taste better you ask?, well the yeast are finishing things off, and eating up any O2 that was left in the bottle, bottle conditioned beers are far superior to anything else

a 2ndry fermenttion in the fermenter is a little different, this was done in the good ol days when we wernt as clean as we should have been and you wanted to ge tthe beer of the yeast cake to finish off, it realy will not make any differance to your beers ( unless your a dirty pig)

with the tap a draft do the same thing as if you were bottling, just ad the sugar and leve to prime out for a few weeks, the cold condition for a week or 2 and youll taste about the same as bottle conditioning
Thank God All Mighty For Titties and Beer
Ozbrewer

Return to All Grain Brewing