Insects In Grain

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:06 pm

First off, hi all this is my first post in these forums. There is a vast amount of info here and on TBN as well. So thank you ahead of time.

I have done a few extract batches and they have turned out well.

I decided to give all grain a try. I built my lauter tun and went down to a local brew shop and had the shopkeeper put togeather a batch of porter.

Well, I was sitting here looking at the grains and I saw insects in the bag (it's a clear bag). I called the brewshop and the owner sarcastically said, "it's probably the sawtooth grain beetle, they grow the grains outside...the average american eats so many insects each year...."

My answer to him was that I did not know it was a normal part of brewers grain.

So, my question is: Is it normal to have insects in your grain? And if so what is acceptable.

I remember Jamil saying something about his garbage cans in his clean room keep bugs out.

So, has anyone else had bugs and have you brewed with it?

Thanks for the help.

Anthony
misterranger

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:11 pm

I have never had visible bugs in my grain, ever. I buy from a reputable shop and then store them in large food-grade plastic drums with a lid that has an o-ring and metal snap ring.
-Russ-------------------------------------------------------
"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - R. Reagan
Who is John Malt?

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:25 pm

I will agree to a slight degree with the shop owner. Yes we do eat a lot of insect parts. It is hard to avoid. That is why the FDA limit on the amount of insect parts in your food isn't zero. Insect eggs/larvae are often found in bags of malt. However, proper dry, cool storage will keep them from developing. Visible bugs running around in your grain fresh from the shop, however, is unacceptable. I would demand either an exchange for unbuggy grain or a complete refund of my money and immediately switch to another shop. Your grain should definitely not be buggy when you buy it.

If you find yourself stuck with that grain, stick a hose on your CO2 tank and run a bunch of gas into the bag and seal it for a day. That will kill all those little critters. If there are not a lot of them, go ahead and use it. It won't hurt the brew. If there are a lot, don't use it but complain loudly to anyone you know who uses that shop. Maybe the owner will get the hint that he needs to change his storage practices or his wholesaler.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:03 pm

That's messed up.

I have also never had bugs, and both of the homebrew stores I go to have very well sealed and stored grains.

If there aren't many bugs, I'm sure it wouldn't really do anything bad to the mash. I brew outside in the country, and I get a few bugs now and then. I would be more concerned about the grain. If the guy's storage techniques allow bugs in, then they may be open to moisture or some filth from when he sweeps up the place.

Take it back. If he won't honor the brewers code, order grain from B3.

Welcome to the forums, as well! And good luck with All-Grain!
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
Thirsty Mallard

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:04 pm

Also, I just wanted to point out the humor in Bugeater speaking fairly of eating bugs. How fitting. :lol:
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
Thirsty Mallard

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:47 am

JRoche00 wrote:Also, I just wanted to point out the humor in Bugeater speaking fairly of eating bugs. How fitting. :lol:

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:

...that is hilarious.

But I agree, bug or two not too bad, more would be too many. And this should be your last bag from this guy that had bugs... or it should be your last bag period.
Sergeant, BN Army!

Member of the Mid-State Brew Crew
Techie101

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:17 am

I've mostly seen bugs in flaked barley and oats, not sure why they prefer those. I just freeze those flaked grains and just add it all to the mash. It's getting lautered and boiled- I don't care if there's a few bugs in there.

I went to the LHBS and saw sealed bags of Muntons with an infestation of those bugs (non-flaked grain, I think it was rye). Obviously, I didn't buy any.

But for the most part, I don't see bugs in my grain. I've got about 600 to 800 pounds of various grain in my cold room that is doing just fine.
Bryan "Sir Vorlauf" Peretto
www.twinhillsbrewery.com
www.kotmf.com
bperetto

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:22 am

Don't worry, bug don't eat much. :wink: Your grain will be fine.
My Homebrewing Website
I reject your reality and subsitute my own. - Adam Savage
valorian

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing