Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:12 am

Bugs in the grain and the shop owner didn't take it seriously...start shopping elsewhere is my advice.
:bnarmy:
Brewing, Teaching, Consulting, and mostly just cleaning...

Brewer in NC at a Pub to be named later...
Geistbier

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:37 am

Bugs are protien. Watch for bug haze in your finished beer. :lol: Really though, I don't know how I would handle it if my shop owner didn't at least offer some kind of discounted supplies or other things. I would be more creeped out than anything. I guess that's why I'm glad that my grains come in brown paper bags, I can't see shit! Ignorance is bliss :wink:
I'm not a slacker in society. I'm an over achieving homeless person.

Drunk posting should be reserved for The RAT PAD!!
beer_bear

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:57 am

Can you imagine Justin getting this bag of grain? My guess is he would scream run from the room screaming for Daniela.

Oh and I'd be pissed and take it back.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am not "bugged" about the insects, I just want good beer. And, if insects are not a normal part of grain, then it is not cool to me. Especially after his sarcasm. "You know they do grow the grain outside." These comments caught me off gaurd.

Also the guy seemed pretty knowledgeable and respectful when he was taking my money.

And to think I was just going there to support the brick and morter brew supplier. (I have been frequenting B3, I have even driven there twice.)

As far as the grains and how they are stored. It appeared that the bags were sitting in the back of the warehouse open without any container (I believe.)

So, I will be going down there tomorrow after work and demanding a refund, just for the grain, I'll keep everything else. At this point I do not want replacement grains from him, I'll go else where.

Thanks again every one. I'll let you know what happens.

Anthony
misterranger

Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:28 am

I wouldn't worry about the bugs, necessarily, but more about how long they have been on the shelf.

I've never had bugs in a sack fresh from the shop, but I have had them show up after months in my room-temp grain storage closet. I made beer with it anyway, and once the bugs were pretty extreme. I don't recall if that very-buggy beer won a medal or not, but I know it was a good American Brown, was drunk up quickly, and requested as a rebrew by those who tried it. I've remade it since (without the bugs) and it was just about the same.

These were little tiny bugs, BTW. About as long but much thinner than a grain of rice - only about 1mm wide.
DannyW

Re: Insects In Grain

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:10 pm

misterranger wrote:Well, I was sitting here looking at the grains and I saw insects in the bag (it's a clear bag). I called the brewshop and the owner sarcastically said, "it's probably the sawtooth grain beetle, they grow the grains outside...the average american eats so many insects each year...."

I would have said. "Umm, yeah they grow it outside. Then it goes inside an kiln and gets put through the malting process, I don't think many bugs live through that. Besides, they grow all my fruits and veggies outside as well, but I don't expect there to be bugs crawling all over my apples when I get home from the store."

What an ass hat. I hope you got your money back or new grain. I heard of people getting bugs in the grain when they store it outside in the garage, or the basement but not when it comes from the store.
barleypopmaker

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:36 pm

Couldn't go giving the "buggy" beers to a vegetarian though.....
Thirsty Boy

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:40 pm

Thirsty Boy wrote:Couldn't go giving the "buggy" beers to a vegetarian though.....

I would! :twisted:

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing