Dry Hopping in Primary?

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:23 am

Hey guys!

I'm thinking of jumping on the 'ferment in the primary - ONLY' bandwagon and dropping the secondary. One question I had though is when to add my dry hop addition? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Formerly, after about a week, I'd rack into my secondary and dry hop at that time, but am unsure as to the best procedure (timing) for adding that addition into a primary. Let me know! :D

Ryan
blurry6

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:43 am

I don't use secondary, and I dry hop. I usually wait until fermentation is almost done then throw in my dry hops.
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:11 am

If you do dry hop in primary, then wait at least one week into the fermentation. I don't secondary and dry hop most of my pale ales. Also, dry hopping is really difficult if you are using glass carboys (unless you use pellets). I use the Tuff-Tanks (from EC Krause) and they are easy to open and add hops.

TimO
TimO

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:23 pm

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I waited til the fermentation almost stopped on my Pliny the Elder clone (couple of days ago = 1 week +1 day) and dropped in a bunch of hops into the primary (bucket),...also checked the gravity and it's at 1.009 = 11.86%ABV SHAZAAM!!! I'm going to give it 'til Saturday 'til I bottler 'er up and condition it,...Needless to say, I won't be operating any heavy machinery while sipping this one :)

Thanks again!

Ryan
blurry6

Return to All Grain Brewing