Ale fermentation temp low!!! Help

Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:28 pm

Here is the long and short, On the 20th I had the brew day from hell.. I could not chill as normal and ended up with one of my 5G carboys at about 90F. I put it in the fermenter with an air lock to cool. About 6 hr later it was 85F and I airated and pitched my WL002 as it was late at night. Normaly I set the fermenter for 2F less than I want it at to alow for the temp rise of active fermentation.
This morning I looked and the stick on thermometer was 58F !!!! :x :x :x how will this afect the beer? I uped the temp to 68 in the fermenter and hope this will rais it about 2F per day....

Any thoughts?

Tim
TimCA

Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:37 pm

You will be fine. Once the temp goes up, the yeast will become active again. You may want to rouse the yeast if it already settled. Even additional aeration may help (assuming fermentation hasn't started yet) since your initial aeration was at 85F at which temp the solubility of O2 is lower.

Kai
Kaiser

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:50 pm

Thanks for the reply, I have low hopes that this beer will turn out.... But Ill cross my fingures
Tim
TimCA

Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:57 pm

You will be just fine. I usually ferment with that yeast around 65-68 degrees. If fermentation had already started before the temp dropped, your wort probably never got below that temperature. My experience is that 002 will flocculate pretty good so rousing it a couple times during fermentation is a very good idea.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:17 pm

It did start to ferment by the next morning, so maby I should stur it a little... but par of me sais to leve it in the off chance there is no infection yet. What do you think?
Tim
TimCA

Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:21 pm

Bug,
Can I get a definition for "rousting"? :roll: Just stick a SANITIZED stick in there and stir gently....?
\Tim
TimCA

Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:29 pm

To roust the yeast in my glass carboy, I just swirl it for a few seconds, just enough to get the yeast off the bottom and floating into the beer. During the winter I do this once a day, ferment around 66, for a week after the intial ferm. has slowed and the head has dropped. No problems. Works well with high gravity ales too. Keeps the yeast up and eating sugars

Good luck

Jay
jwfazio

Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:28 pm

What do you think of a stir plate on for 10 min every three days?
TimCA

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing