New Brewer has ?'s

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:19 pm

Hello all,
I just started AG brewing and have a few ?'s I thought you all could help.

1: For people who don't use pump to move liquids, How do you all move water from the HLT to the Mash Tun and know the quantity. I have been using a pitcher to move water because I don't have any other way to tell how much water I have. but lose a lot of heat this way.

2: Most of my beers have tasted real good, but I seem to get a lot of gas and like a stomach ache. Like blotting. Is this to much yeast? Or proteins I cannot digest? Do any of you have this problem or is it my beer?

3: I keg all my beers but just don't understand the whole aging thing. When you age in the bottle it kind of easy by putting sugar and let set at 50-60 degrees for how ever long.

But with kegs. Do you carbonate first, then let the beer set at those temps or Uncarbonated Cold Crash and then bring it back up and let sit at 50-60 degrees and let set uncarbonated.

I have only done ale type beers and have my beer kegged and start carbonating with in about 2 - 4 wks.

Sorry for the long post. I kind jumped in to AG after one extract batch and never bottled any. Always a keg. I have done about 6 AG batches and just started in June.

Thanks for any replies
Carver

Re: New Brewer has ?'s

Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:28 am

Carver wrote:1: For people who don't use pump to move liquids, How do you all move water from the HLT to the Mash Tun and know the quantity. I have been using a pitcher to move water because I don't have any other way to tell how much water I have. but lose a lot of heat this way.

Most people will use a three tier, gravity fed system where the HLT sits next to the mash tun and a little higher. They put a ball valve or some other kind of spigot on the bottom of the HLT so you can pour directly into your mash.

2: Most of my beers have tasted real good, but I seem to get a lot of gas and like a stomach ache. Like blotting. Is this to much yeast? Or proteins I cannot digest? Do any of you have this problem or is it my beer?

I guess it could be proteins, not sure if the proteins from the hot/cold break will do that. I've heard some beer infections can cause gas.

3: I keg all my beers but just don't understand the whole aging thing. When you age in the bottle it kind of easy by putting sugar and let set at 50-60 degrees for how ever long.

But with kegs. Do you carbonate first, then let the beer set at those temps or Uncarbonated Cold Crash and then bring it back up and let sit at 50-60 degrees and let set uncarbonated.

You can age in a spare keg, I wouldn't think carbonation matters in aging.

Sorry for the long post. I kind jumped in to AG after one extract batch and never bottled any. Always a keg. I have done about 6 AG batches and just started in June.

Very cool, welcome to the addiction!!

Typical 3 tier gravity fed system:
Sergeant, BN Army!

Member of the Mid-State Brew Crew
Techie101

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:27 am

I have seen the three tier systems before, but how do you measure the quantiy of water being poured. I don't have sight glass if this is how most do it. but I am not sure.

what kind of infection could cause gas. I have been using bleach but just switched to idophor for this last batch that is fermenting now, but not done yet

Thanks for the reply
Carver

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:50 am

Carver wrote:how do you measure the quantiy of water being poured. I don't have sight glass if this is how most do it. but I am not sure.

I don't have a site glass either. What I do have is a 3/8" wooden dowel marked every half gallon with a sharpie. Simple dipstick.

Or you could just add the amount of water to your HLT and pour it all. You'll have to heat water twice like this (once for strike and once for sparge), but hey, simple solutions for simple minds is my moto.
rich

Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:11 am

Hey thanks, I will try this next batch.

Any Idea as to the gas or blotting?
Carver

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:09 am

Try the iodophor, or get some Star San and do a batch where you are completely ANAL RETENTIVE about sanitation. As in gloves, everything is sanitized multiple times. Then, if that batch still gives you gas, you may find you need to filter your beer. There is a lot more in homebrew that commercially packaged beer. Most is good for you, there may just be something in it that doesn't settle good with you. I know justin says he can't drink wheat beers 'cause they give him "the wind".
 
Sergeant, BN Army!

Member of the Mid-State Brew Crew
Techie101

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:28 am

I would imagine that your internal dilemma is just that... and internal one. I know some people who are the same way with good beer. Take vitamins and work out. The healthier the body, the better it works.

Then again I'm not a doctor... I just play one in the bedroom. :shock:
http://www.thirstymallard.wordpress.com

"If beer and women aren't the answer, then you're asking the wrong questions." -Anonymous

BN Army Corporal; Southern Support - Gulf Coast Division

Texas is better than your state. Fact.
Thirsty Mallard

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:48 am

Eat yogurt on a daily basis to balance the bacteria in the digestive tract. Also filtering your beer would help too.

Brad
"I could have mixed it with chocolate and vagina and it still wouldn't have helped." -- Justin Crossley

"It helps the yeast focus" -- JP (refering to the riddling process)
wezil

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing