Re: Munich Ale water?

Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:33 am

ajdelange, Sorry for the confusion. Yeah I was going by what "The Brewmaster's Bible" said about Carbonate and Bicarbonate determining "carbonate" hardness expressed as "total alkalinity" on most water analysis reports. Honestly I'm terrible with chemistry so this thread has been incredibly helpful to me. The 50 ppm hardness in the second quote is without any dilution or adjustments, this is the number I recieved from my city's water department. Using the mash water calculator at BrewersFriend.com I noticed that if I entered HCO3 (which was absent from the report) as 61 the alkalinity read 50 (which I guess we cleared up isn't the same as hardness but this is what I was going on). After diluting my city's water 1:3 with RO water HCO3 dropped to 15 ppm. Chalk and Baking Soda additions increased Ca2, Na, and HCO3 to what I listed in the first post as my adjusted water numbers. I just wanted to clear that up. I will work on changing my brewing salts to keep total alkalinity down.

Thanks for the link, I will definitely check it out before I settle on my water adjustments.
peaceandbacon

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing