Re: Clean copper components of mash tun?

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:05 am

kal wrote:+1.

People that feel antsy about this need to remember that there's any number of mouse feces/hair, and bugs in your malt as well that you're probably not aware of. Just like your breakfast cereal.

Kal

Thanks for that, Kal!
Dan
Carmel, IN
Twitter: @IndianaBrewer
Corporal - BN Army

Favorite Quotes:
"I have won lots a awards and know brewing."
alkohall

Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:18 pm

Can not say enough for cleaning immediately after use. Let air dry.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:14 am

kal wrote:Your could have all sorts of interesting stuff growing in the crevices but it won't matter as you'll be boiling for at least an hour like others have mentioned.

This isn't necessarily true, as certain bacteria and molds produce toxins that are actually fairly heat stable and can linger well after the organism itself is long dead.
Fermenting: English Mild
Conditioning: Wild Pumpkin
Drinking: Funky Saison
Cody

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:39 am

Cody wrote:
kal wrote:Your could have all sorts of interesting stuff growing in the crevices but it won't matter as you'll be boiling for at least an hour like others have mentioned.

This isn't necessarily true, as certain bacteria and molds produce toxins that are actually fairly heat stable and can linger well after the organism itself is long dead.

Good point. But if you get everything that could putrify out, there should be little opportunity for growing those bad critters.
Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Download Bru'n Water here:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Water/464551136933908?ref=bookmarks
mabrungard

Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:56 am

As part of my multi-task time management I clean my mash tun while waiting for wort to come to boil and let air dry. Also measure out hops additions while mashing and crush grains while strike water is heating. Still trying to compress the time frame for this whole process.
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing