Re: Too Much Gypsum w/AB Clone?

Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:43 am

I know JP was soliciting 'problem beers' awhile back for an upcoming show/project. You may wish to contact him and see if he still needs some if you are planning on dumping it anyway.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:18 am

Eamonn wrote:
TimmyR wrote:Martin - thanks. I've used upwards of 300 ppm SO4 before with no issue as well. My mash pH was 5.35 measured around 25C on a ATC pH meter. End runnings gravity were 1.012.

Timmy your mash ph was too low. Measure your beer ph and see if it is above 4.1.

5.35 is good at mash temp, but it reads about 0.3 higher at room temp. So your mash ph was about 5.05.

Hmph, I am out of calibration solution but will check it hoping my meter is not too out of wack.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:19 am

spiderwrangler wrote:I know JP was soliciting 'problem beers' awhile back for an upcoming show/project. You may wish to contact him and see if he still needs some if you are planning on dumping it anyway.

Thnx Spider. I'll e-mail him.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:11 pm

Tasted it again today. Still has the off character but it seems to be more in the aroma than the flavor. Beer pH is 4.4 at ~13C. The beer is very clear and it does not seem to be getting worse in any way. It is possibly actually getting a little better. I will likely dump the 5 gal in kegs after botteling some and the let 5 gal in a secondary carboy stand for a bit longer.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:48 pm

TimmyR wrote:Tasted it again today. Still has the off character but it seems to be more in the aroma than the flavor. Beer pH is 4.4 at ~13C. The beer is very clear and it does not seem to be getting worse in any way. It is possibly actually getting a little better. I will likely dump the 5 gal in kegs after botteling some and the let 5 gal in a secondary carboy stand for a bit longer.

That beer PH is pretty much on target.
Eamonn

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing