Help with a Belgian Blond

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:47 am

Hi everyone,
Had a question about a Belgian Blond that I brewed 2 days ago. I have a question about how dry this could possibly come out as well as my gravity.
Using JZ's recipe from BCS I ended with an OG of 1.063 not including the cane sugar as I planned on adding it to the fermenter.

My damn neighbor decided he would drop by and talk about nothing just after I mashed in. Usually I don't loose much heat during the mash but this time was different for some reason. Planned to mash at 150F as per the recipe but being distracted it mashed at about 146-147. Raised the temp back up to 150 but an hour had already passed.

My question is this. If I add the 1.5 lbs of cane sugar that is called for in the recipe, will this dry the beer dry out to much and raise the gravity to high?

Sorry this post is kinda scattered. I need to try to post here more to get better situated.

Cheers
:jnj
jlmcgrath

Re: Help with a Belgian Blond

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:05 am

You will be fine. In my experience with belgians, three degrees on either side of 150F mash temp is not a problem. Focus on the ferment.
"When you said you mounted animals, I thought you were a taxidermist!" -- petting zoo, Oskosh WI
DBear

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:47 pm

Should I still go ahead with the whole 1.5lb addition of cane sugar? Any idea what that would make the gravity? its a 5.5 gallon batch.

Cheers
jlmcgrath

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:57 pm

Sugar is typically figured to give you 46 ppg, so

(46 pt gal/lb) * (1.5 lb) / (5.5 gal) = 12.5 points

putting you at 1.063 + 0.0125 = 1.0755
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider