Opti-Mash

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:59 am

Has anyone had experience with opti-mash? I am trying to do a boch, and like an idiot I didn't look up the diastatic power for Munich malt. First, I have a 5 gallon cooler for a mash tun. So I had to substitute some of the grain for extract. Well, like an idiot I trusted the home brew shop and they suggested to substitute the pilsner. I am concerned with using just Munich malt with a pound and a half of specialty malt. The diactatic power of Munich is around 30 from what I looked up. So my solution was to use some enzymes and opti-mash was an idea. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help.
o2nut

Re: Opti-Mash

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:25 pm

What exactly art the specialty malts you're using? You should be OK without the enzymes, since munich malt has enough enzymes to self convert.

Any crystal/caramel, chocolate, and/or black malt called for are already converted.
Quin

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:51 pm

It has melanoidin and CaraMunich as well as Chocolate and Carmel malts. I know the melanoidin needs to be mashed and assume the CaraMunich as well. It's BCS traditional Bock
o2nut

Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:41 am

The caramunich is a caramel malt, so that's converted. So you would be just mashing the munich and the melanodin malt. I looked on the Weyerman website, and their munich has a DP of 34. You should be fine.
Quin

Return to All Grain Brewing