Brewstartersyeast

Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:15 am

Has anyone ever used yeast from these guys? They sell slants and "superwort" to build up yeast starters? They have a huge list of strains.

Anyone ever cultured up a starter from this company?

Brewstartersyeast
breyton

Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:52 am

Did you look at the about us section? Not a person on it has any formal training in microbio.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:54 am

They are actually selling wyeast and white labs under their original numbers. These idiots actually want to get sued. Morons.

Travis

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:00 am

I guess it is not unusual for retailers to resell White Labs and Wyeast products - every homebrew store in the country does it - but they are selling slants for $7. Why not buy the whole tube for the same $7?
DannyW

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:03 am

DannyW wrote:I guess it is not unusual for retailers to resell White Labs and Wyeast products - every homebrew store in the country does it - but they are selling slants for $7. Why not buy the whole tube for the same $7?

The way it looks to me is that they buy on vial of yeast on reprop and slant it. Keep on proping the yeast and selling it. That cuts the orginal owners out.

Travis

-Dave Barry
Lufah

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:03 pm

Lufah wrote:
DannyW wrote:I guess it is not unusual for retailers to resell White Labs and Wyeast products - every homebrew store in the country does it - but they are selling slants for $7. Why not buy the whole tube for the same $7?

The way it looks to me is that they buy on vial of yeast on reprop and slant it. Keep on proping the yeast and selling it. That cuts the orginal owners out.

Travis

It's also obvious they are using White Labs and Wyeast and yet they make no mention of it on their site. This is just stupid in my opinion... unless I'm missing something here. I agree with DannyW, why not just buy a true WL or WY pack instead of something that a "hobbiest" has recultured?

Anyone want to buy a 1997 "MB" Camry, or a 1993 "MB" Dakota? I just have to sand off the emblems and make new ones with "MB" on them.
:roll: :roll:
Sergeant, BN Army!

Member of the Mid-State Brew Crew
Techie101

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:14 pm

I posted this on their "Contact Us" page:
Just out of curiosity, why would someone want to buy your slants for $7 when they can buy a true White Labs or Wyeast product for the same price? It's obvious you guys are using their products to reculture and sell.

...just wondering if I'm missing something here.

Thanks,
Matt

Of course when I hit Submit I got this:

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'

Permission denied: 'Mailer.Qmessage'

/ContactUs.asp, line 106
Sergeant, BN Army!

Member of the Mid-State Brew Crew
Techie101

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:17 pm

Wow, that is quite possibly the most retarded thing I have ever seen. $7 for a slant plus shipping? With my club discount, I can buy a White Labs vial for about $5 at my LHBS with no shipping. They should at least change the part numbers so it is not so obvious that they are ripping White Labs and Wyeast off.

Brad
Bald guys rule.
BigBadBrad

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing