Sparge time vs. Efficiency

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:52 pm

I recirculate my mash and my sparge time is 60 minutes with a Blichmann autosparge. I sparge until I hit my boil volume of 15.25 gal., pumping from my mash turn to my boil kettle. My efficiency is repeatedly 89-90%. My question is can I pump faster to bring my efficiency down to 75%. How much faster? Is it a linear?
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Re: Sparge time vs. Efficiency

Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:54 pm

gwk453 wrote:I recirculate my mash and my sparge time is 60 minutes with a Blichmann autosparge. I sparge until I hit my boil volume of 15.25 gal., pumping from my mash turn to my boil kettle. My efficiency is repeatedly 89-90%. My question is can I pump faster to bring my efficiency down to 75%. How much faster? Is it a linear?

You can also mill your grain not as fine. You sparge time seems typical for running 15 gallons.
bcmaui

Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:16 am

You could probably reduce it down to a 40 min sparge and be OK, but it would be better to creep up on it by reducing your sparge time 10 min per batch until you hit your target.
Quin

Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:10 pm

Just finished brewing!!! :mrgreen: I increased the gap to .053 on my Monster Mill. A niece coarse grind. OG was right at 75%! Sparge was the same. Didn't want to change two variables:jnj
Thanks for the info
German Bock
gwk453

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm curious... why did you want to decrease your efficiency anyway? Just curious. Personally I have a theory that lower efficiency beers taste more malty, but I have more experiments to run to confirm this. For a while I was getting average efficiencies in the 90s, then I backed off on the crush and succeeded in hitting ~82%, and I'm keeping it there for the time being in the hopes of making better tasting beer. So that's me... but what were your reasons??
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:51 pm

dmtaylor wrote:I'm curious... why did you want to decrease your efficiency anyway? Just curious. Personally I have a theory that lower efficiency beers taste more malty, but I have more experiments to run to confirm this. For a while I was getting average efficiencies in the 90s, then I backed off on the crush and succeeded in hitting ~82%, and I'm keeping it there for the time being in the hopes of making better tasting beer. So that's me... but what were your reasons??

+1, i felt the same way. I taste my sparge and I get malt flavor, then sweet, then husky if i go too long. I always cut off my sparge early. The last runnings don't really help me get flavor, just more sugar. In most styles of beer, I'm not looking for sugar without flavor (maybe american lagers, but that's about it).
EGADS! 3 MONTHS WITHOUT BREWING? MOVING YOU SUCK.... NEVER AGAIN

In Kegerator - Hopfen Weiss, Best Bitter
In Primary - Baby Baine Barleywine
Next up: Petite Saison
thatguy314

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:28 pm

I am a good listener to the BN shows and podcast! If 75% efficiency is good for Jamil and Tasty then better tasting beer is my goal. Squeezing every penny (and sugar) out of a pound of grain is OK too if you are brewing for ABV. Taste is quite subjective to an individual's palate, I'll stick with the 75 - 80 % ers. I don't have the time to brew for tannins. It is a a one shot deal with me! I have brewed 60 gallons this summer and have been working to dial my new equipment setup in. I was hitting 91 - 92% eff. and had a slight off taste on my palate that I am untrained to recognize. Even with different waters, grains, and yeast! I went lighter on the grain bill once, ended up around 76% and the taste was gone. So I am hoping it was tannin I was tasting. I just got my ABV below 6% on my last batch @ 75% eff. I like to have few pints without falling over! Beer is Good!
German Bock
gwk453

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:23 pm

gwk453 wrote:Just finished brewing!!! :mrgreen: I increased the gap to .053 on my Monster Mill. A niece coarse grind. OG was right at 75%! Sparge was the same. Didn't want to change two variables:jnj
Thanks for the info

Cheers and Aloha
bcmaui

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing